Finding the Parametric Equations of a Line (0,4) & Alpha 60°; Beta 30°, 150°

• Thread starter PiRsq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the direction angles of a line passing through point (0,4) are given as 60° for alpha and 30° for beta. The parametric equations for this line can be expressed as x = t and y = t√(3) + 4, where t is the parameter.
PiRsq
I tried to do this but I don't get the answer as in the book...

A line passes through point (0,4). Its first direction angle is 60°, meaning alpha is 60°.

I found that the second direction angles are 30° and 150° that's is beta is 30° and 150°. But what are the parametric equations of the line for each set of direction angles?

Thx any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding of "direction angles" for a line is that they are the angles the line makes with each of the coordinate axes. In a two dimensional problem, there are only two direction angles. In this case, since one angle is given as 60 degrees (the angle the line makes with the x-axis) the other angle has to be 30 degrees (in two dimensions, the angles have to add to 90 degrees- direction angles (and direction cosines) are more often used in three or more dimensions). I don't understand why "second direction angles" is plural. I also do not understand what you mean by " the parametric equations of the line for each set of direction angles".

I agree with HallsofIvy that a third direction angle makes no sense in this problem. So ignoring that ...

A vector along that line would be
v = i + √(3)j
or <x,y> = <1,&radic;(3)>

So a vector equation for the line in the form
r = r0 + tv (where r0 is the position vector of your point (0,4) and t is the parameter might be
<x,y> = <0,4> + t<1,&radic;(3)> or
<x,y> = <0+t, 4+t&radic;(3)>

and then the parametric equations of the line would be
x = t
y = 4 + t&radic;(3)

Is that the answer given in your book?

Last edited:
That was probably too involved. Maybe this is a better answer:

Since you know that &alpha; is 60o, you know that the slope of the line is tan60o = &radic;(3)

So, an equation for the line through point (0,4) with slope &radic;(3) is
y - 4 = &radic;(3) * (x - 0)
y = x&radic;(3) + 4

To parametrise this, let the parameter be t.
Now, since there are no restrictions on x, we can simply let
x = t
and then, since we require that y = x&radic;(3) + 4, substitute the parameter t for x and you get
y = t&radic;(3) + 4

So those are the parametric equations.

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way of representing a curve or line in terms of one or more independent variables, known as parameters. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to describe motion and other relationships.

2. How do I find the parametric equations of a line?

To find the parametric equations of a line, you will need the coordinates of two points on the line and the direction of the line. From there, you can use the formula x = x1 + (x2 - x1)t and y = y1 + (y2 - y1)t, where t is a parameter, to represent the line in terms of x and y.

3. What is the significance of the alpha and beta angles in the given problem?

The alpha and beta angles, in this case 60° and 30°, represent the direction of the line in terms of the x and y axes. These angles are used to determine the values of x and y in the parametric equations and ultimately represent the slope of the line.

4. How do I interpret the values of x and y in the parametric equations?

The values of x and y in the parametric equations represent the coordinates of any point on the line, as determined by the parameter t. As t increases or decreases, the point on the line will move accordingly. By plugging in different values for t, you can plot multiple points on the line and visualize its shape.

5. Can parametric equations be used to represent curves?

Yes, parametric equations can be used to represent curves as well as straight lines. In this case, the values of x and y will vary as t changes, resulting in a curved shape. These equations are commonly used to represent conic sections, such as circles and ellipses.