Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of a parabola

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    Hi! I am trying to find the equation of a parabola with vertex as (h,k) and axis parallel to the x-axis. However, I am not able to derive the correct result.
    (1) I shift the origin to the point (h,k).
    (2) Now the equation of the parabola in the new system becomes y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 4ax.
    (3) Now, we know that when we shift the origin without rotation of axes to a point (h,k) (wrt the old system), the locus in the old system is changed by replacing x by x-h and y by y-k. This gives us the equation of the locus in the new system.
    Now, since the equation of the parabola in the new system is y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=4ax, then the equation of the parabola in the old system must be (y+k)[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 4a(x+h), as on replacing x by x-h and y by y-k in this equation, we get the equation of the parabola in the new system, which is y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 4ax.
    Please help in finding the fault in this derivation. Thanks!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Do you want to transform a parabola whose axis is along the y-axis ( f(x) = 4a x^2 ) to one whose axis is parallel to the new x-axis? You will have to rotate the coordinate system, not simply move the origin. What form do you want the new parabola to take?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook