Equation of a parabola

• Thread starter Ashu2912
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi! I am trying to find the equation of a parabola with vertex as (h,k) and axis parallel to the x-axis. However, I am not able to derive the correct result.
(1) I shift the origin to the point (h,k).
(2) Now the equation of the parabola in the new system becomes y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 4ax.
(3) Now, we know that when we shift the origin without rotation of axes to a point (h,k) (wrt the old system), the locus in the old system is changed by replacing x by x-h and y by y-k. This gives us the equation of the locus in the new system.
Now, since the equation of the parabola in the new system is y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=4ax, then the equation of the parabola in the old system must be (y+k)[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 4a(x+h), as on replacing x by x-h and y by y-k in this equation, we get the equation of the parabola in the new system, which is y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 4ax.
Please help in finding the fault in this derivation. Thanks!!!

Answers and Replies

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Do you want to transform a parabola whose axis is along the y-axis ( f(x) = 4a x^2 ) to one whose axis is parallel to the new x-axis? You will have to rotate the coordinate system, not simply move the origin. What form do you want the new parabola to take?