Equation of a plane orthogonal to a vector

In summary: I missing something big?In summary, In summary,Your original equation may be rewritten as:\vec{F}\cdot\vec{B}+\vec{B}^{2}=\vec{B}^{2} (eq.1)where \vec{F}=\vec{W}-\vec{B} (eq.2) .Alternatively, (eq.1) can be rewritten as:\vec{F}\cdot\vec{B}=0 (eq.3) .
yes I agree, and I tried to go further to see if I could work something out but still no lightbulb yet

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so rewriting (eq.2) a bit, we have:
[tex]\vec{W}=\vec{F}+\vec{B}[/tex]
(You've seen this one before..)

We have already established, that all acceptable choices of [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] together constitutes a plane, with [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] as the normal vector.

Now then, if you combine this insight with the above equation, what sort of geometric surface must all acceptable choices for [tex]\vec{W}[/tex] taken together constitute?

A plane i think

a plane parellel to the normal vector b

It sure is!
Let us argue like this:
1) Take any acceptable choice of [tex]\vec{F}[/tex]
(Such a point lies in the plane containing the origin, with [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] as normal vector.
2) To find the corresponding [tex]\vec{W}[/tex] we go straight up along [tex]\vec{B}[/tex]
(Adding that is, [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] to our [tex]\vec{F}[/tex])
3). Now, the DISTANCE that [tex]\vec{W}[/tex] is removed from the plane in which [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] lies, is how far along the vector normal to the plane [tex]\vec{W}[/tex] is.
4) But this distance is simply the magnitude of [tex]\vec{B}[/tex], since [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] IS normal to the plane in which [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] lies.
5) Clearly, therefore, EVERY ACCEPTABLE CHOICE OF [tex]\vec{W}[/tex] LIES AN EQUAL DISTANCE FROM OUR PLANE (that is given by the length of [tex]\vec{B}[/tex]
6) But this means, that the set of acceptable [tex]\vec{W}[/tex] is A PLANE PARALLELL TO THE PLANE OF ACCEPTABLE [tex]\vec{F}[/tex]!

Do you agree with this reasoning?

Last edited:
I'm not understanding #5

1.Each acceptable choice of [tex]\vec{W}[/tex] corresponds to an acceptable choice of [tex]\vec{F}[/tex]
2. The distance of a point to a plane is found by measuring the length of the perpendicular (normal) joining that point to the plane.
3. In our case, the perpendicular to the plane in which our [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] lies, is given by [tex]\vec{B}[/tex]

Do you agree with this?

yes I'm following now

So, you accept that the set of acceptable [tex]\vec{W}[/tex] represents a plane with normal vector given by [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] ?

yes, but this is due in another twenty minutes if you do not mind could you walk me through the steps. Another thing this is a physics assingment, but I placed it in the math due to it being math oriented. I took intro to linear algebra and I realize that in linear algebra it has to be more in dept, but for physics not as much. But I really appreciate your help, nothing like understanding a problem fully through.

But now we're really done!
Because:
1) We've shown that the set of acceptable [tex]\vec{W}[/tex] is a plane.
2) In addition, since [tex]\vec{F}=\vec{0}[/tex] was a solution of (eq.3), we know that one acceptable [tex]\vec{W}=\vec{0}+\vec{B}=\vec{B}[/tex]
But the physical point corresponding to [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] is D..

This was what you had to show:
That your original equation represents a plane with normal vector given by [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] containing D.

I had to leave to fast I just want to say thank you for all your help arildno