1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of a Plane Wave, confused

1. Aug 30, 2014 #1
    Plane wave equation:

$$\psi(t) = \psi_0e^{i(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t)}$$

The part that makes the domain of [itex]\psi(t_i)[/itex] a plane is the k dot r part.

I'm reading a book that takes this term and imposes the following condition:

$$\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}=Const.$$

which, i understand its necessity, but if we just plug in the LHS of the equation, the information on the RHS is lost no? i mean, we didn't use it; we just got rid of it. Can someone clarify this part for me please.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

##\vec k\cdot\vec r = \text{const.}## would mean that ##\psi## is a function of time alone.
    Isn't a plane wave also a function of space?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_wave#Arbitrary_direction

You don't "plug in" the LHS of that equation - the equation is a definition of what the LHS means. If you already know what ##\psi(t)## is, then what extra information could the RHS possibly supply?

4. Aug 30, 2014 #3
    aha! i get it! thanks

5. Aug 30, 2014 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Hm, I don't get it. What's the book intending to derive/demonstrate? Could you quote more details?

6. Aug 30, 2014 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A wave is a travelling disturbance, and the disturbance described by the function ψ depends both on place and time.
    $$\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}=Const.$$ is the equation of a wavefront, a plane, where the phase of the wave is the same at each point. Consider a wavefront where C=0 at t=0, that is, ##\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}=0## . The equation represents a plane at the origin that is perpendicular to the wave vector ##\vec k##. At a later time t, the points where the phase is zero are on the plane
    $$\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-ωt=0$$ In case ##\vec k ## is parallel with the x axis, ##\vec k =k\hat e_x##, the plane is perpendicular to the x axis and its position is determined by ##k x -ωt=0##, that is, at ##x=ω/k t ##: the wavefront travels in the positive x dirction, with speed ω/k. ω/k is the propagation velocity or phase velocity of the wave.

ehild

7. Aug 30, 2014 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What they are saying is NOT that ## \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} = constant ## everywhere. What they are saying is this: the vector ## \vec{k} ## is a constant, and the vector ## \vec{r} ## can be anything. Now, you pick constant C. Then all the points satisfying the condition ## \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} = C ## lie on a plane, right? (and not that that plane will be perpendicular to ##\vec{k}##) What we know is that everywhere on that plane the wave function has the same phase at any given instant (fixed t). So all the points on that plane correspond a fixed phase. This is the definition of a plane wave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted