Equation of a Plane with 2 Points and Perpendicular

In summary, the conversation is about determining the equation of a plane that contains two given points and is perpendicular to a given plane. The individual attempting the solution correctly identifies the normal vector and uses one of the given points to create an equation, but questions whether the other point needs to be incorporated. Another person clarifies that only one point is needed and points out that the given normal vector is incorrect. The answer in the book is given as 5x-13y-2z+27=0, which is different from the individual's answer. The question is raised whether both answers are correct.
emma3001

Homework Statement

Determine the equation of the plane that contains the points A(1, 2, 3) and B(2, 3, -1) and is perpendicular to the plane 3x + y + z + 1=0. I think I know how to do it with only one point, not two

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that v= normal so it would be (3, 1, 1). Then I could use point A and say (x-1, y-2, z-3)dot(3, 1, 1)=0
After expanding, I get 3x + y + z -8=0. Do I need to incorporate the other point?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you only need to use one point. Notice that if you had used the other point, you would have gotten the same equation.

the answer in the book is 5x-13y-2z+27=0. Does it make sense that my answer is so different? Would they give the same answer?

Your normal vector is wrong. (3,1,1) is perpendicular to the given plane, but not the plane they want.

What is the equation of a plane with two points and a perpendicular vector?

The equation of a plane with two points (P1 and P2) and a perpendicular vector (n) is given by:
(n · (x - P1)) = 0 and (n · (x - P2)) = 0, where n is the perpendicular vector and x represents any point on the plane.

How do I find the perpendicular vector of a plane?

The perpendicular vector (n) of a plane can be found by taking the cross product of two non-parallel vectors on the plane. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to the plane and can be used in the equation of the plane.

Can I use any two points on the plane to find its equation?

No, in order to uniquely define a plane, at least three non-collinear points are needed. Using only two points will result in an infinite number of planes passing through those points.

What is the significance of the equation of a plane with two points and a perpendicular vector?

The equation of a plane with two points and a perpendicular vector allows us to uniquely define a plane in three-dimensional space. It is useful in many applications, such as in geometry, physics, and engineering.

How is the equation of a plane with two points and a perpendicular vector derived?

The equation of a plane with two points and a perpendicular vector is derived from the general equation of a plane, ax + by + cz + d = 0, where a, b, and c are the components of the perpendicular vector and d is a constant. By substituting the coordinates of the two given points into this equation, we can solve for d and obtain the specific equation of the plane.