Find Equation of Plane: Cartesian & Parametric Form

• Thread starter forty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
Yes, since the point (6, 5, -2) is already given, you can use that as one of the points in the plane. So the vector form would be r= (6, 5, -2)+ s(1, 0, 1)+ t(0, 1, 1). Great observation!
forty
Find the equation of the following plane in both Cartesian and (vector) parametric form.

the plane through the point (6,5,-2) and parallel to the plane x+y-z+1=0

Cartesian form is just -x-y+z=d as both planes share the same normal. solving for d using (6,5,-2) gives -x-y+z=-13.

as for the vector form..

r = (6,5,-2) + s(x,y,z) + t(a,b,c) (s,t are real numbers)

How do i work out the (x,y,z) and (a,b,c)? Can i just take the dot product of each of them with the normal vector and find values that give 0. meaning they are at right angles (i hope that's right). and then just make sure that (x,y,z) and (a,b,c) aren't parallel?

e.g.

(-1,-1,1) . (x,y,z) = 0
-x-y+z=0

so (1,0,1) would work? then do the same with the (a,b,c) and say take (0,1,1)??

is this the right thing to do? is there an easier way?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to find two more points in the plane - you have its equation, so for each point, pick values of x and y and solve for z. Let's call these points A and B.

Now form a vector from P(6, 5, -2) to A and another vector from P to B. These two vectors and your first point will determine the plane. As a check each vector should be perpendicular to the plane's normal.

forty said:
Find the equation of the following plane in both Cartesian and (vector) parametric form.

the plane through the point (6,5,-2) and parallel to the plane x+y-z+1=0

Cartesian form is just -x-y+z=d as both planes share the same normal. solving for d using (6,5,-2) gives -x-y+z=-13.
Given the form of the original plane, I would have been inclined to write either x+ y-z+ d1= 0 or x+ y- z= d2, but they give the same result as yours: x+y-z-13= 0 or x+y-z= 13.

as for the vector form..

r = (6,5,-2) + s(x,y,z) + t(a,b,c) (s,t are real numbers)

How do i work out the (x,y,z) and (a,b,c)? Can i just take the dot product of each of them with the normal vector and find values that give 0. meaning they are at right angles (i hope that's right). and then just make sure that (x,y,z) and (a,b,c) aren't parallel?

e.g.

(-1,-1,1) . (x,y,z) = 0
-x-y+z=0

so (1,0,1) would work? then do the same with the (a,b,c) and say take (0,1,1)??

is this the right thing to do? is there an easier way?
Simplest thing to do: since -x- y+ z= -13 (your form), solve the equation for z: z= x+ y- 13. Taking x= 0, y= 0, z= -13. Taking x= 1, y= 0, z= -12, so <1-0,0-0,-12-(-13)>= <1, 0, 1> is a vector in the plane. Taking x= 0, y= 1, z= -12 so <0-0, 1-0, -12-13>= <0, 1, 1> is a vector in the plane. The plane can be written r= (0, 0, -13)+ s(1, 0, 1)+ t(0, 1, 1).

Always helpful!

Just one thing, seeing as in the question they give you a point in the plane "the plane through the point (6,5,-2) and parallel to the plane x+y-z+1=0" wouldn't it be more logical to just use that point then solving for another, ie (0, 0, -13). The only reason I bring this up is to make sure you can use that original point they give in the question!

Thanks again! :-D

forty said:
Always helpful!

Just one thing, seeing as in the question they give you a point in the plane "the plane through the point (6,5,-2) and parallel to the plane x+y-z+1=0" wouldn't it be more logical to just use that point then solving for another, ie (0, 0, -13). The only reason I bring this up is to make sure you can use that original point they give in the question!

Thanks again! :-D

It's probably no more logical, but it's a lot quicker!

1. What is the difference between the Cartesian and parametric forms of a plane's equation?

The Cartesian form of a plane's equation is written as Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the variables x, y, and z, and D is a constant. This form is useful for graphing and finding the plane's intercepts. The parametric form of a plane's equation is written as x = x0 + at, y = y0 + bt, and z = z0 + ct, where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the plane and a, b, and c are the direction ratios. This form is useful for calculating points on the plane and performing vector operations.

2. How do you find the equation of a plane given three points?

To find the equation of a plane given three points, you can use the point-normal form of the equation, which is (x - x0, y - y0, z - z0) · n = 0. Here, (x0, y0, z0) is one of the given points and n is the normal vector of the plane. To find n, you can use the cross product of two vectors formed by the three points. Once you have n, you can plug in the values of (x0, y0, z0) and n into the equation to get the final form of the plane's equation.

3. Can the equation of a plane be written in vector form?

Yes, the equation of a plane can be written in vector form. It is written as r · n = p, where r is the position vector of any point on the plane, n is the normal vector of the plane, and p is a constant. This form is useful for performing vector operations and finding the distance between a point and the plane.

4. How do you convert a plane's equation from Cartesian form to parametric form?

To convert a plane's equation from Cartesian form to parametric form, you can set z = t and solve for x and y in terms of t. This will give you the parametric equations x = x0 + at and y = y0 + bt, where a and b are the coefficients of x and y, respectively. You can also find the value of c by plugging in a point on the plane into the Cartesian equation and solving for c. The final parametric form will be x = x0 + at, y = y0 + bt, and z = z0 + ct.

5. What is the normal vector of a plane and how is it used in the equation of a plane?

The normal vector of a plane is a vector that is perpendicular to the plane and has a magnitude of 1. It is denoted by n in the plane's equation. The normal vector is used to determine the orientation and slope of the plane. It is also used to find the shortest distance between a point and the plane. When finding the equation of a plane, the normal vector can be found by taking the cross product of two vectors that lie on the plane.