Equation of Plane w/ Origin 3 Units Away: Solved

• Thread starter nhartung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the equation of the plane with distance 3 units from the origin and perpendicular to the line through P(1,2,3) and Q(-2,4,1) is \frac{-3}{\sqrt{17}}x + \frac{2}{\sqrt{17}}y - \frac{2}{\sqrt{}17}z = \frac{27}{17} + \frac{12}{17} + \frac{12}{17}.
nhartung

Homework Statement

Find the equation of a plane with distance 3 units from the origin and perpendicular to the line through P(1,2,3) and Q(-2,4,1).

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{n}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\vec{PQ}}\left|{\vec{PQ}}\left|[/tex]

Plane Equation: a(x-x0) + b(y-y0) + c(z-z0)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I think I can solve this all the way up until the end.

We have [tex]\vec{PQ}[/tex] = <-3, -2, 2>

so [tex]\vec{n}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{17}}[/tex]<-3,-2,2>

Now if I scale that vector by 3 or -3 I can get a point on the plane that I am looking for, I need to put this into the form of a plane so I use the equation above and end up getting:
[tex]\frac{-3}{\sqrt{17}}[/tex]x + [tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{17}}[/tex]y - [tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{}17}[/tex]z = [tex]\frac{-27}{17}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{18}{17}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{18}{17}[/tex]

This can be simplified further but this is where mine and my professors work differs. He gets the following on the right side of the equation = [tex]\frac{27}{17}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{12}{17}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{12}{17}[/tex]

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind I figured it out.

1. What is the equation of a plane with an origin 3 units away?

The equation of a plane with an origin 3 units away is given by x + y + z = 3. This means that any point (x, y, z) on the plane will have a distance of 3 units from the origin.

2. How do you solve for the equation of a plane with an origin 3 units away?

To solve for the equation of a plane with an origin 3 units away, you can use the distance formula to calculate the distance between any point (x, y, z) on the plane and the origin. If the distance is 3 units, then the equation of the plane is satisfied.

3. Can the equation of a plane with an origin 3 units away be written in other forms?

Yes, the equation of a plane with an origin 3 units away can also be written in the general form of ax + by + cz = d, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of x, y, and z, respectively, and d is a constant. This form can be useful for solving systems of equations involving planes.

4. How can you graph the equation of a plane with an origin 3 units away?

To graph the equation of a plane with an origin 3 units away, you can plot points on the plane that are 3 units away from the origin along the x, y, and z axes. Then, connect these points to create a triangle, which will be the representation of the plane on a 3-dimensional coordinate system.

5. What is the significance of the equation of a plane with an origin 3 units away?

The equation of a plane with an origin 3 units away is significant because it represents a specific location in 3-dimensional space. This can be useful in various applications such as engineering, physics, and geometry, where understanding the relationship between points in space is important.