1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of a plane

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an equation of the plane for the plane that passes through the point (1, -1, 1) and contains the line with symmetric equations x=2y=3z.

2. Relevant equations
    ax+by+cz=d
    n=<a, b, c>
    n [itex]\bullet[/itex] (r -r0) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just have no idea where to start. How do I work through these kinds of problems?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are two many parameters in your equation of the plane. It would be equivalent to write 1 instead of d.
    Plug in (1,-1,1) for x,y,z into the equation of the plane. You get a relation among a,b,c.
    The points of the line are also points of the plane. Replace y=x/2, z=x/3 in the equation. It has to be true for all x values. You can find the parameters from this condition.

ehild

4. Sep 13, 2011 #3
    I got the equation of the plane right out of the book, im confused... and why would you write 1 instead of d ?

plugging the numbers in, youd get a-b+y=d but you said to put 1 for d, so a-b+y=1 ?

and replace y=x/2, z=x/3 in what equation

5. Sep 13, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The normal vector can have any length, it does not influence its direction, that it is normal to the plane.
    In the equation ax+by+cz=d, a,b,c are the components of a normal vector. In vector form, it is rn=r0n where r0 is a vector of the plane. If you divide the equation by any number, the normal vector changes length, but the direction is the same. But you can not divide by d when it is zero. So you are right, it is better to keep d as you can not exclude that it is zero.

So you have an equation for a, b, c, d: a-b+c=d. You can express one of the parameters with the others: For example, c=d-a+b.

Replace the points of the line into the equation for the plane ax+by+cz=d. It will be

a x+b/2 x +c/3 x=d. Plug in the expression of c. You get an equation that must hold for all values of x. What you get when x =0? What you get when x=1?

ehild

6. Sep 13, 2011 #5
    When x=0 don't you just get d=0 ? And when x=1 you have the same equation jut with all the x's as 1 I don't see how/why this helps

7. Sep 13, 2011 #6
    Could i do this (if not why?) :

Use x=2y=3z and switch to parametric eqns and get x=t , y=(1/2)t , z=(1/3)t and so the direction vector is equal to <1, 1/2, 1/3> which is your a, b, and c. So use that for the eqn:
    a(x-x0)+b(y-y0)+z(z-z0)=0
    so then you'd get x+(1/2)y+(1/3)z=(5/6)

8. Sep 13, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That doesn't work because the plane [itex]a(x- x_0)+ b(y- y_0)+ c(z- z_0)= 0[/itex] or, equivalently, [itex]ax+ by+ cz= const[/itex] has <a, b, c> as a normal vector. The plane you calculated has the given line perpendicular to the plane, not in the plane.

What I would do is this: taking t= 0 in the parametric equations x= 0, y= 0, z= 0 so (0, 0, 0) is a point on that line and so in the desired plane. Since we are given that (1,-1, 1) is also in the plane, the vector <1-0, -1- 0, 1- 0>= <1, -1, 1>, is in the plane. We now have two vectors, <1, -1, 1> and the direction vector of the given line, <1, 1/2, 1/3> in the plane. Their cross product is perpendicular to both and so perpendicular to the plane. You now have a point in the plane and a vector perpendicular to the plane.

9. Sep 13, 2011 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have found d : d=0, so
    a-b+c=0 and *
    a x+b/2 x +c/3 x = 0.
    The last equation holds for all x values. If you plug in x=1 you get
    a+b/2+c/3=0**

Solve the system of equations * and **. One parameter is arbitrary, find the others in terms of that parameter.

ehild

10. Sep 15, 2011 #9
    i used HallsofIvy's method:

so the answer i got is (5/6)(x-1) - (2/3)(y+1) + (3/2)(z-1) = 0

is that right ?

11. Sep 15, 2011 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does it contain the line x=2y=3z?

ehild

12. Sep 15, 2011 #11
    how do i check that?

13. Sep 15, 2011 #12

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That line goes through the origin. So x=0, y=0, z=0 has to be a point of the plane. Is it?

ehild

14. Sep 15, 2011 #13
    ...no

15. Sep 15, 2011 #14

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check that vector product. You have only a sign error.

ehild

16. Sep 15, 2011 #15
    oh, ok i see what i did. i did the plane's vector thing cross the dir vector of the line but its the other way around. how would i know that on a test?

17. Sep 15, 2011 #16

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that was not your error. Doing cross product "the other way around" gives a vector pointing in the opposite direction but still perpendicular to the plane.

That would be the same as multiplying the entire equation by -1: -a(x- 1)- b(y-1)- c(z-1)= 0 rather than a(x-1)+ b(x-1)+ c(x-1)= 0 but, in fact, they are the same equation.

Go ahead and do the cross product again. You have an error in the last component alone.

18. Sep 15, 2011 #17

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The order does not matter when you get the normal vector. The negative of a normal vector is also a normal vector. There is one sign wrong in your equation: It should be
    (5/6)(x-1) -(2/3)(y+1) - (3/2)(z-1) = 0.
    And it would be nicer to write the equation in the standard form: ax+by+cz=d.

ehild

19. Sep 15, 2011 #18
    Ohhhh I'm just dumb and did the cross product wrong. I got it now thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook