Equation of a sine bike wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses determining an equation for the height of a speck on a bike tire as it moves along the road. The amplitude is 0.3 and the period is 0.6pi, but there is no information about any phase shifts. The equation for the height is h(t) = r(1-cos(\theta)), and \omega can be found using the equation \omega=\frac{v}{r}.
emma3001
A bike has wheels with diameter 0.6m. The bike moves along the road at 6m/s. Determine an equation for the height of the the speck on the tire above the road as a function of time in t seconds.

I think that the amplitude is 0.3 and my period is 0.6pi (circumference). Would there be any phase shifts left or right, up or down. How would the period be written in the function?

y=0.3sin10pi/3

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe this problem is missing the information as to where the speck starts.

I'll assume that the speck starts at the lowest point of the wheel. There's an equation [tex]v=r\omega[/tex], where v is the velocity, r= radius, and [tex]\omega[/tex]=angular velocity. Therefore, [tex]\omega=\frac{v}{r}[/tex] and also [tex]\omega=\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]

Find [tex]\omega[/tex]
Let's define the height function [tex]h(t) = r(1-cos(\theta))[/tex]. *For this height equation I use the line h(t)=0 as the ground, so you can change the equation if you use h(t)=0 as the center of the wheel. From here, find [tex]\theta [/tex] in terms of t and [tex]\omega[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the equation for the motion of a sine bike wheel?

The equation for the motion of a sine bike wheel is given by y = A*sin(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase shift.

2. How does the amplitude affect the motion of a sine bike wheel?

The amplitude determines the maximum height that the bike wheel reaches during its motion. A larger amplitude results in a higher maximum height, while a smaller amplitude results in a lower maximum height.

3. What does the angular frequency represent in the equation for a sine bike wheel?

The angular frequency represents how quickly the wheel is rotating. It is measured in radians per second and is related to the linear speed of the bike wheel.

4. How does the phase shift affect the motion of a sine bike wheel?

The phase shift determines the starting position of the bike wheel. A phase shift of 0 means the bike wheel starts at its highest position, while a phase shift of π/2 means the bike wheel starts at its lowest position.

5. Can the equation for a sine bike wheel be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the equation can be applied to real-life situations, such as the motion of a bike wheel, roller coaster, or pendulum. It is a simplified model that helps us understand the motion of these systems.