Matching Equations to Spheres: Solving the Mystery

In summary, the problem is that the equations are difficult to read, and it's difficult to tell which graph goes with which equation.
Turbodog66
Member warned about posting without the HW template
I have been given a problem with 4 equations, that need to be matched up to the corresponding image. I have worked the equations already and determined their center, but for the life of me I cannot seem to figure out which graph goes with which equation. The images are not that easy to read which is most of my issue. Here is an example:

x2−4x+y2−4y+z2−2z = -35/4 (original equation)

(x-2)^2 + (y-2)^2 + (z-1)^2 -9 = -35/4

(x-2)^2 + (y-2)^2 + (z-1)^2 = -35/4 + 9 >> √1/4 >> 1/2
C = (2,2,1) r = 1/2

This would give me a center of (2,2,1). However, none of the spheres I am provided appear to match this. Am I blind or does my math appear to be off?
spheres.PNG

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(D) could fit. There are sign errors in your absolute values (doesn't influence the center, but influences the radius) - with your current number you would not get a sphere because the equation has no solution.

mfb said:
(D) could fit. There are sign errors in your absolute values (doesn't influence the center, but influences the radius) - with your current number you would not get a sphere because the equation has no solution.
I see that, I have it written down correctly on my notebook, resulting in a r of 1/2. I appreciate your response, at this point I am more concerned with getting the correct values than matching to the correct graph. There are 4 total equations, and if even one of the choices are wrong it marks the entire problem wrong. Prevents guessing I suppose, but not very helpful otherwise.

Turbodog66 said:
I have been given a problem with 4 equations, that need to be matched up to the corresponding image. I have worked the equations already and determined their center, but for the life of me I cannot seem to figure out which graph goes with which equation. The images are not that easy to read which is most of my issue. Here is an example:

x2−4x+y2−4y+z2−2z = -35/4 (original equation)

(x-2)^2 +4 (y-2)^2 +4 (z-1)^2 +1 = -35/4

(x-2)^2 + (y-2)^2 + (z-1)^2 + 9 = -35/4

This would give me a center of (2,2,1). However, none of the spheres I am provided appear to match this. Am I blind or does my math appear to be off?View attachment 104840

##x^2 - 4x = x^2 - 4x + 4 - 4 = (x-2)^2 -4##, etc. So, you should have ##-9## as the constant on the left of your final equation, not the ##+9## that you wrote. I cannot see what work you did to get your solution, so I don't know what steps you took.

Ray Vickson said:
##x^2 - 4x = x^2 - 4x + 4 - 4 = (x-2)^2 -4##, etc. So, you should have ##-9## as the constant on the left of your final equation, not the ##+9## that you wrote. I cannot see what work you did to get your solution, so I don't know what steps you took.
My apologies for the typo, I corrected it in the original post. Ultimately, I have what I believe is the correct values, but I am not seeing a sphere whose center is (2,2,1) with a radius of 1/2. The attachment is the image with the spheres, I'm not sure if it shows up embedded in the first post or not.

Turbodog66 said:
My apologies for the typo, I corrected it in the original post. Ultimately, I have what I believe is the correct values, but I am not seeing a sphere whose center is (2,2,1) with a radius of 1/2. The attachment is the image with the spheres, I'm not sure if it shows up embedded in the first post or not.

I cannot see any sphere with center (2,2,1), or even close to it. Are you sure you copied down the original problem correctly?

Ray Vickson said:
I cannot see any sphere with center (2,2,1), or even close to it. Are you sure you copied down the original problem correctly?

This is the original problem, directly from my assignment. #1 is the one in question. I will say that I failed to use "^" on the 3 variables to plainly indicate that they are squared, but I treated them as such and completed the squares.
upload_2016-8-18_13-8-59.png

Just in case the attachment doesn't work, x^2 - 4x +y^2 - 4y +z^2 - 2z = -35/4

Turbodog66 said:
This is the original problem, directly from my assignment. #1 is the one in question. I will say that I failed to use "^" on the 3 variables to plainly indicate that they are squared, but I treated them as such and completed the squares.
View attachment 104848
Just in case the attachment doesn't work, x^2 - 4x +y^2 - 4y +z^2 - 2z = -35/4

One of these equations fits one of the diagrams perfectly (as far as my eyes can make out). I can't say more without giving a way the solution.

Ray Vickson said:
One of these equations fits one of the diagrams perfectly (as far as my eyes can make out). I can't say more without giving a way the solution.
I agree, I have worked out the other 3 equations and was able to match 2 of them with a diagram fairly easily. But I still have to figure out which one matches the 1st equation(all 4 equations are supposed to be represented in the diagram). Are you saying you do see one with (2,2,1)? If so that's good enough for me, and I will keep staring until I see it, haha. In any case I appreciate the help.

I see a sphere where (2,2,1) as center would fit. You cannot extract the coordinates from the images reliably (2 vs. 3 dimensions), but you can go the opposite way: see where (2,2,1) is in each image, and see if that matches the center of the sphere in the plane.

Turbodog66 said:
I agree, I have worked out the other 3 equations and was able to match 2 of them with a diagram fairly easily. But I still have to figure out which one matches the 1st equation(all 4 equations are supposed to be represented in the diagram). Are you saying you do see one with (2,2,1)? If so that's good enough for me, and I will keep staring until I see it, haha. In any case I appreciate the help.

As I said, I don't see any sphere with center near (2,2,1), but, apparently, others can.

Ray Vickson said:
As I said, I don't see any sphere with center near (2,2,1), but, apparently, others can.
Neither can I see any sphere with center near (2,2,1) .

mfb said:
Do we see the same image?

View attachment 104851

To me it looks like the center is at about (0,1.5,0). However, as you said before, some of the figures are not very clear.

mfb said:
Do we see the same image?

View attachment 104851

One thing is certain, this problem is more of a test of your visual skills rather than testing your ability to solve an equation.. I have reached out to my TA to see if there is any help they can provide as well. I appreciate the help everyone

Ray Vickson said:
To me it looks like the center is at about (0,1.5,0). However, as you said before, some of the figures are not very clear.
You cannot uniquely determine the center of a 3D point from a 2D drawing without any additional help. The sphere in D is at the place where a sphere around (2,2,1) has to appear, and no other sphere fits.

mfb said:
You cannot uniquely determine the center of a 3D point from a 2D drawing without any additional help. The sphere in D is at the place where a sphere around (2,2,1) has to appear, and no other sphere fits.

Assuming, of course, that the person setting the problem has not given an erroneous statement.

Why?
Sorry, I don't understand the problem. We are supposed to find the right sphere for this equation, there is exactly one sphere that fits. What needs further discussion?

mfb said:
Why?
Sorry, I don't understand the problem. We are supposed to find the right sphere for this equation, there is exactly one sphere that fits. What needs further discussion?

Whether it is correct that every one of the equations will, in fact, fit one of the displayed spheres. In other words, is the wording of the problem accurate?

Sometimes problem statements given in this Forum have turned out to be wrong, more often than not because of typos, or whatever. Certainly, typos are not so rare as to be dismissable right away.

Ray Vickson said:
Whether it is correct that every one of the equations will, in fact, fit one of the displayed spheres. In other words, is the wording of the problem accurate?
Just one of the four equations has been posted here, but this one fits to exactly one sphere.

Ray Vickson said:
Certainly, typos are not so rare as to be dismissable right away.
If the problem statement doesn't seem to be right: sure. But here there is no problem with the problem statement. If you have to pick the answer to "5+5" and the options are "9", "10" and "15", you wouldn't expect a problem with the problem statement, right?

Here is the problem in its entirety. I didn't include everything initially because I did not have a problem with the other 3. My intention was to present it as if it was simply a problem with a single equation and provided with 6 possible solutions, knowing that one of them must be correct.
upload_2016-8-18_18-55-21.png

Last edited:

1. What is the equation of a sphere graph?

The equation of a sphere graph is (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 + (z - l)^2 = r^2, where (h, k, l) represent the coordinates of the center of the sphere and r represents the radius.

2. How do you graph a sphere using its equation?

To graph a sphere using its equation, you can plot the center point (h, k, l) and then use the radius (r) to determine the distance from the center at which to plot points on the sphere. You can then connect the plotted points to create the spherical shape.

3. What is the significance of the equation's coefficients?

The coefficients in the equation of a sphere graph represent the distance of the center from the origin and the radius of the sphere. The coordinates of the center point (h, k, l) indicate the displacement of the sphere from the origin, while the radius (r) determines the size of the sphere.

4. Can the equation of a sphere graph be written in other forms?

Yes, the equation of a sphere graph can also be written as x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + Dx + Ey + Fz + G = 0, where D, E, F, and G are constants. This form is known as the general form of a sphere's equation.

5. How is the equation of a sphere graph related to the Pythagorean theorem?

The equation of a sphere graph is closely related to the Pythagorean theorem, as it is essentially the three-dimensional version of the theorem. The equation (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 + (z - l)^2 = r^2 can be thought of as representing the sum of squared distances from the center (h, k, l) to any point on the sphere, which is equivalent to the square of the radius (r^2).