Finding Equation of Smallest Circle Containing 3 Circles

• Thread starter phymatter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the problem is to find the equation of the smallest circle that contains three given circles. The equations for the three circles are provided, with their centers and radii. The key to solving this problem is to find the circumcenter of the triangle formed by the centers of the three circles. This circumcenter will be equidistant from the three vertices of the triangle, making it the center of the containing circle. Using the centroid ratio and Pythagorean theorem, the distance from the circumcenter to any of the circle centers can be found, and this will be the radius of the containing circle.
phymatter

Homework Statement

if equation of 3 circles is given then find the equation of the smallest circle containing all 3 circles

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i can do this question for 2 circles , please give a hint for 3 circles

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the equations? There is an easy way to tell which is the 'smallest' circle given the equations. Hint: Look at the constants, especially the one after the minus sign in the radical.

Angry Citizen said:
What are the equations? There is an easy way to tell which is the 'smallest' circle given the equations. Hint: Look at the constants, especially the one after the minus sign in the radical.
I think you misunderstood the problem.

phymatter said:

Homework Statement

if equation of 3 circles is given then find the equation of the smallest circle containing all 3 circles

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i can do this question for 2 circles , please give a hint for 3 circles
The problem is very difficult to solve if the circles don't have some special relationship such as they are all touching at one point each for example.

the given equations are :
1. x2 +y2 -4y-5 = 0
2. x2 +y2 + 12x +4y +31 = 0
3. x2 +y2 +6x +12y +36 = 0

the centres are (0,2) ; (-6,-2) ; (-3,-6) and radius of all is 3

I haven't worked this through, but I believe what you need is the circumcenter of the triangle formed from the centers of the three circles. That point would be equidistant from the three vertices of the triangles, so that would be the center of the circle that surrounds the three given circles. After you know the coordinates of the circumcenter, you can find the distance, call it d, to any of the centers of the three given circles. The radius of your containing circle will be d + 3.

The triangle is an equilateral triangle...circumcentre is same as centroid...
Remember the centroid ratio and pythagoras theorem...
I hope this will help you!

Thanx...
Suk-Sci

Attachments

• Construction.pdf
    47.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Suk-Sci said:
The triangle is an equilateral triangle...circumcentre is same as centroid...
Remember the centroid ratio and pythagoras theorem...
I hope this will help you!

Thanx...
Suk-Sci

thanks Suk-Sci !

1. How do you determine the equation of the smallest circle that can contain three given circles?

The equation of the smallest circle containing three circles can be determined by finding the center and radius of the circle that passes through the three given circles. This can be done using the formula for the circumcircle of a triangle, which is the smallest circle that can contain a triangle.

2. What information do you need in order to find the equation of the smallest containing circle?

In order to find the equation of the smallest containing circle, you will need the center coordinates and radius of each of the three given circles. You may also need to know the distance formula and equation of a circle.

3. Can the smallest circle containing three circles be found if the three circles overlap?

Yes, the smallest circle containing three circles can still be found even if the three circles overlap. In this case, the center of the smallest containing circle will be the intersection point of the three circles, and the radius will be the distance from the center to any of the three circles.

4. Is there only one possible equation for the smallest circle containing three circles?

No, there are infinite equations for the smallest circle containing three circles. This is because the center and radius of the smallest containing circle can vary depending on the positions and sizes of the three given circles.

5. What is the practical application of finding the equation of the smallest circle containing three circles?

Finding the equation of the smallest circle containing three circles can be useful in various fields such as geometry, computer graphics, and engineering. It can be used to optimize space and minimize overlaps in designs, as well as to determine the optimal placement of objects in a given area.