Determining Equations of Constraint for Natural Motion

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constraint
In summary, the first equation suggests that the length of the inside of the cylinder is a multiple of the circumference of the sphere as it travels along there. The second equation suggests that the arc length of the sphere along the cylinder is the upper arc length the center of mass of the sphere traverses.
Shackleford
I assume you want to equate theta and phi somehow that would express the "natural" motion of the system. In this case, you could equate the length of the inside of the cylinder with some multiple of the circumference of the sphere as it travels along there. You could also equate the arc length of the sphere along the cylinder with the upper arc length the center of mass of the sphere traverses (R - rho).

In general, how do you determine the "best" equations of constraint?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-11-06232419.jpg?t=1289104004

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the second suggestion you made sounds pretty good to me, at least if I understood you correctly. Put it into an equation and we'll see.

Mindscrape said:
Yes, the second suggestion you made sounds pretty good to me, at least if I understood you correctly. Put it into an equation and we'll see.

f(theta, phi) = (R - pho)*theta - pho*phi = 0

If that's the best one, how do I know that?

Yes, that is right. Um, well, I suppose you could do the first one. I like working with center of mass, so that sounded good to me. I guess try both out and see how they compare.

Mindscrape said:
Yes, that is right. Um, well, I suppose you could do the first one. I like working with center of mass, so that sounded good to me. I guess try both out and see how they compare.

The first case would be R*theta = n*phi*rho. The equations are of course different. The second one is better. I guess that's because concerns the motion of the sphere, the thing that's actually moving, not just relating to some other object's quantity.

On a side note, I'm having a little bit of difficulty in their manipulation of the partials and total derivatives.
For 7.61, are partial x-sub-i and total x-sub-i equivalent since the only other variable in f is t? Also, are partial t and total d in the denominators equivalent? If so, of course, A = -A implies A = 0.

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/?action=view&current=1-1.jpg

Same thing for 7.100. For 7.101 on the left, did the total time derivatives in the numerator and denominator "cancel"?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2-1.jpg?t=1289109838

Same for 7.125.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/3.jpg?t=1289109976

I understand if there's more than one variable the partials and totals are not the same.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/4.jpg?t=1289110007

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, it's hard for me to tell what's going on in the context of your photos. Are you by any chance using Thornton and Marion (kind of looks like it)? I've got that book.

For the derivative with respect to time you have to worry about chain rules of variables depending on time. With derivatives with respect to coordinates it just like any common derivative.

Mindscrape said:
Hmm, it's hard for me to tell what's going on in the context of your photos. Are you by any chance using Thornton and Marion (kind of looks like it)? I've got that book.

For the derivative with respect to time you have to worry about chain rules of variables depending on time. With derivatives with respect to coordinates it just like any common derivative.

Yes. It's Thornton and Marion chapter 7. It doesn't appear to be the best classical mechanics book, but maybe that's just me.

Do you understand my questions? The larger context really isn't that important. It's their mathematical operations that are fuzzy to me. I hope that makes sense.

Ah, no, partial and full derivatives are not equivalent. 7.61 part two is just saying that the total derivative of df/dt is what's written in 7.61 part one. In general, I like to use tree diagrams to help my differentiation.

In 7.101 the derivatives just cancel. Physics is pretty bad about it's formalism for derivatives. I couldn't tell you why those cancel out, it's a math question I don't know.

7.125 if you clear up the first one, this one should get cleared up.

Honestly, I wouldn't care too much about where this stuff comes from, just that you know how to use it. That is, of course, unless you want to be a theorist, blech...

1. What is the purpose of determining equations of constraint for natural motion?

The purpose of determining equations of constraint for natural motion is to mathematically describe the relationships between the variables that affect the motion of a system. These equations help us understand and predict the behavior of natural systems, such as objects moving under the influence of gravity or systems of interacting particles.

2. How do you determine equations of constraint for natural motion?

To determine equations of constraint for natural motion, you first need to identify all the relevant variables and their relationships in the system. This can be done using physical laws, such as Newton's laws of motion, or through observations and experiments. Once the relationships between the variables are established, they can be expressed as mathematical equations.

3. Can equations of constraint be applied to any type of natural motion?

Yes, equations of constraint can be applied to any type of natural motion as long as the system can be described using mathematical equations. This includes motion in one, two, or three dimensions, as well as systems with various types of constraints, such as fixed points, rigid bodies, or systems with friction.

4. What are some common challenges when determining equations of constraint for natural motion?

One common challenge is identifying all the relevant variables and their relationships in a complex system. Another challenge is simplifying the equations to make them solvable, especially in systems with multiple constraints. Additionally, measurement errors and uncertainties can also affect the accuracy of the equations.

5. How are equations of constraint for natural motion used in real-world applications?

Equations of constraint for natural motion are used in a wide range of applications, such as engineering, physics, and biology. They can be used to design and optimize structures, predict the behavior of natural systems, and develop new technologies. They are also used in computer simulations to model complex systems and in data analysis to understand and interpret experimental results.