1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of continuity

1. Dec 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You are watering your lawn with a hose when you put your finger over the hose opening to increase the distance the water reaches. If you are pointing the hose at the same angle, and the distance the water reaches increases by a factor of 4, what fraction of the hose opening did you block?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This seems very obvious to me. The density of the water would remain consistent, thus the equation would become A1v1=A2v2. Since t is consistent as long as the height the water is fired from is, I figured this means v2 must be 4 times v1. But the answer is 2 times? I've looked over this problem many times and I just can't see what I'm missing, it seems so obvious?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "t is consistent"? You'll need to review projectile motion to see how the range of a projectile depends on initial speed.

4. Dec 8, 2016 #3
    Shouldn't x component be v*t, thus directly proportional to velocity?? By t is consistent, I mean that t must be consistent in both as h is consistent: -4.9t^2=h

5. Dec 8, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When a football is kicked into the air, does the time of flight change if the initial speed is changed?

4.9t2 = h is for horizontal projection from a height h.

The statement of the problem is not clear about whether or not to take into account the initial height of the hose. I suspect that you are meant to neglect the initial height and imagine that the water essentially leaves the hose at ground level.

6. Dec 8, 2016 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you write the equation x = vt, what does v represent? Is it the initial speed, or is it the x-component of the initial velocity, or is it the y-component of the initial velocity, or something else?

7. Dec 8, 2016 #6
    I guess I'm imagining the hose as horizontal, in which case I believe I would be right, but the angle isn't specified, so isn't it impossible to determine the answer?

8. Dec 8, 2016 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, if you interpret the problem as aiming the hose horizontally from some height h, then to quadruple the range you would need to quadruple the initial speed. As you noted, this is not the answer they wanted.

The problem statement mentions "pointing the hose at the same angle". This suggests that the hose is not horizontal, but tilted upward. However, the problem is still not clear regarding the initial height. See if you get the "right" answer if you assume the initial height is small enough to neglect. So, the water essentially leaves the hose at ground level at some unknown angle θo.

9. Dec 8, 2016 #8
    Figured it out, thanks!

10. Dec 8, 2016 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Good work!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted