Ellipsoid Equation: Finding the Classical Form with Rotated Radii

• Thread starter mnb96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipsoid
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the equation of a "rotated" ellipse given a parametrization in t. The position vector and directional radii are defined, and the equations for x and y are derived. However, the speaker gets stuck when trying to eliminate t from the equations. The other person suggests solving the equations for cosine and sine in terms of x and y, and then using the trigonometric identity to get a quadratic equation in x and y. The speaker realizes this was a simple solution that they had overlooked.
mnb96
Hi,
given an ellipsoid in parametric form in t, I was trying to get to the classical equation in x,y. Things are very straightforward, as long as the ellipse radii are aligned with the principal axes. Instead, I am trying to find the equation of a "rotated" ellipse, given a parametrization in t.

I tried the following... Let's define the position vector:

[tex]\mathbf{r}(t) = \mathbf{a}cos(t) + \mathbf{b}sin(t)[/tex]

where:
[tex]\mathbf{a}=a_1\mathbf{e_1} + a_2\mathbf{e_2}[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{b}=b_1\mathbf{e_1} + b_2\mathbf{e_2}[/tex]

and we have that [tex]<\mathbf{a},\mathbf{b}>=0[/tex], that is, the directional radii are perpendicular but not aligned to the main axes.
Since [tex]x = <\mathbf{r},\mathbf{e_1}>[/tex], and [tex]y = <\mathbf{r},\mathbf{e_2}>[/tex], we have:

[tex]x = a_1cos(t) + b_1sin(t)[/tex]
[tex]y = a_2cos(t) + b_2sin(t)[/tex]

At this point I got stuck, because I can't manage to get rid of t. When the ellipse is aligned to the main axes we have [tex]b_1=0[/tex], and [tex]a_2=0[/tex], and everything becomes easy by squaring the terms.
I know that the final result should be of the form: [tex]\mathbf{x^T}A\mathbf{x}[/tex] where A is symmetric positive definite, but I can't really get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your ellipse is centered at the origin.
You have two equations (linear in [itex] \cos t[/itex] and [itex] \sin t[/itex]). Solve them like this: [itex] \cos t = ??[/itex], [itex] \sin t = ??[/itex], both right-hand-sides linear in [itex]x,y[/itex]. Then take the equation [itex]\sin^2 t + \cos^2 t = 1 [/itex], substitute in your results, you get something quadratic in [itex] x,y[/itex].

Thanks a lot!
I can't believe I didn't immediately find such an easy solution! It has been under my eyes all the time (even on my notes) but yesterday I simply missed it :/ ... I should punish myself now :)

1. What is the equation of an ellipsoid?

The equation of an ellipsoid is a mathematical representation of a three-dimensional surface that is formed by rotating an ellipse about its axes. It is given by the equation x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 + z^2/c^2 = 1, where a, b, and c are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipsoid along the x, y, and z axes, respectively.

2. How is the equation of an ellipsoid derived?

The equation of an ellipsoid is derived from the general equation of a conic section, which is a quadratic equation in three variables. By manipulating the coefficients and constants in the general equation, we can obtain the specific form of an ellipsoid.

3. What are the properties of an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid has several important properties, such as its shape, volume, surface area, and curvature. It is a three-dimensional shape with a smooth, continuous surface. It is also symmetrical about its three axes, and its cross-sections along any plane are ellipses. The volume and surface area of an ellipsoid can be calculated using specific formulas, and its curvature varies at different points on its surface.

4. What are some real-life applications of the equation of an ellipsoid?

The equation of an ellipsoid is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and geodesy. It is used to model the shape of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars. It is also used in optics to describe the shape of lenses and mirrors, and in geodesy to model the shape of the Earth. Additionally, the ellipsoid equation is used in computer graphics to create 3D models of objects with smooth surfaces.

5. Are there any other forms of the equation of an ellipsoid?

Yes, there are various other forms of the equation of an ellipsoid, depending on the orientation and position of the ellipsoid. These include the parametric form, the Cartesian form, and the spherical form. Each of these forms has its own advantages and is used in different contexts.