Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of energy of a particle

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1
    Suppose a particle moves along Cartesian coordinates from x=0 to x=a, such that it can move in definite regions having definite energy which corresponds to formation of standing waves with nodes at its ends, that is, x=0 and x=a. Let the particle be of mass m and moving with velocity v.
    Moreover, let n denotes the number of loops in the standing wave, which can take values 1,2,3...
    Now I am deciding to derive the energy associated with the particle....
    for standing waves having ends with nodes, we have
    a=[itex]nλ/2[/itex]
    [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] λ=[itex]2a/n[/itex]
    [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\nu[/itex]=v/λ
    [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] E=h[itex]\nu[/itex]=nv/2a

Now the particle has linear momentum as p=mv[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]v=p/m , where p is the linear momentum which remains constant for a given energy level (I am using this as an analogy to angular momentum as per Bohr's postulates)

substituting in equation of energy we have,
    E=np/2am

Now I have two questions...the analogy I have used for momentum...was that correct?
    and E=h[itex]\nu[/itex] is applicable for EM waves which has speed of light...Is this applicable if particle's speed is not equal to speed of light???

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted