1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of motion and operators in the interaction picture.

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a question that says:
    What is the equation of motion for a general operator in the interaction picture. I.e. how does the time derivative of the operators behaves ? Show this.

And then I have to find the time development for the annihilation and creation operator ([itex]\hat{a}[/itex] and [itex]\[{{\hat{a}}^{\dagger }}\][/itex]) in the interaction picture.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The first question I THINK this is how it is supposed to be done, but I'm not sure.
    I have that:

[tex]\[\frac{d{{A}_{I}}}{dt}=\frac{1}{i\hbar }\left[ {{A}_{I}},{{H}_{0}} \right]\][/tex]

where:

[tex]{{A}_{I}}={{e}^{i{{H}_{0}}t/\hbar }}{{A}_{s}}{{e}^{-i{{H}_{0}}t/\hbar }}[/tex]

So my thought is, that I just take the derivative of [itex]{{A}_{I}}[/itex], and then I think, if my math is correct, I end up with something where I'm able to write the commutator as in the first equation. And then I get what is says. And if I'm now mistaken that is the equation of motion I need to find ?

The second question I'm not entirely sure about how to do.
    For the Harmonic Oscillator, which is what I'm working with here, the commutator of the two operators is [itex]\left[ {{a}_{-}},{{a}_{+}} \right]=1[/itex].
    But then I don't know what my next step is.

So if someone could help I would be grateful :)

Regards

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?