1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of motion sketch

1. Jan 15, 2006 #1
    For a particle of mass m moving in a potential V(r) = -b/r^2 where the constant b>0 obtain the equation [itex] r = r(\phi} [/itex] of the trajectory for the particular states of motion with total energy E = 0 and angular momenta such that [itex] \frac{L^2}{2m} < b [/itex]
    SKetch the trajectory and discuss the motion for
    [tex] \dot{r} (t=0) >0 [/tex] and
    [tex] \dot{r} (t=0) <0 [/tex]

Ok so we know that phi and r are related by this equation
    [tex] \phi = L \int \frac{1}{r^2 \sqrt{2m(E - V_{e} (r))}} dr + \mbox{constant} [/tex]
    here [tex] V_{e} (r) = \frac{-b}{r^2} + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2} [/tex]
    also E = 0 so
    [tex] \phi = L \int \frac{1}{r^2 \sqrt{2m(\frac{b}{r^2} + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2}}} [/tex]

and integrating we get
    [tex] C exp(\phi \frac{\sqrt{2mb - \frac{L^2}{2m}}}{L}}) = r(\phi) = r [/tex]

so far so good?

for the second part
    [tex] \dot{r}(t) = \frac{1}{r} \sqrt{\frac{2}{m} (b - \frac{L^2}{2m}} [/tex]
    do i need to find explicit expression for r(t) and phi(t) ?
    for r' > 0 then r > 0 and phi > 0
    for r' < 0 from the relation between r and phi above it does nt look like that could ever be less that zero unless C <0? Do i need to solve for C by the way?

YOur help is always, greatly appreciated!
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2006 #2
    heres the sketch that is missing from the question

thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

4. Jan 17, 2006 #3
    can anyone help!!!

this is due tomorrow!! I need to know if what i have is right... please please help! im desperate!
    Note that i posted it about 4 days in advance
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?