1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of Motion

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass m has speed v0 at the origin and coasts along the x axis in a medium with force F(v). Use the chain rule of differentiation to write the equation of motion in the separated form m*v*dv/F(v)=dx.

2. Relevant equations
    F(v)= -c(v^3/2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far, i drew a diagram to show what was happening. I know that F(v) is the drag force. I'm really just confused about what the equation of motion is. I know that it is going to have a velocity and mass, I think.
    Can any one help?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation of motion is just Newtons law,
    [tex]F(v) = m a[/tex]
    where a is the acceleration
    [tex]a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{d^2s}{dt^2}[/tex].

4. Dec 7, 2008 #3
    Okay, that is what i have done so far, is this right,
    I have m*v0= -c*v3/2.
    then i am suppose to differentiate this using the chain rule which my book is calling the v*dv/dx rule to get a separated form m*v*dv/F(x)=dx. But i don't know what to differentiate with respect to, v or x, but my equation doesn't have an x. So maybe my equation is wrong, I am not quite sure.

5. Dec 7, 2008 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you get the right hand side? Don't use any specific form for F(v), just the equation I gave you.
    Then, in m*a, replace a = dv/dt by something which looks like what you want (try dv/dt = dv/dt * something), using the chain rule.

6. Dec 7, 2008 #5
    So even though the drag force = F(v) i don't sub that part in?

7. Dec 7, 2008 #6

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, because there is also an F(v) and not c and v^(3/2) in your final answer.

8. Dec 7, 2008 #7
    so in the end when i use the chain rule should I end up with the drag force equation? Sorry I am still a little confused.

9. Dec 7, 2008 #8

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, they want you to show how you can go from
    F(v) = m a
    to
    F(v) = m v (dv/dx)
    using the chain rule, and then rewrite this to
    m*v*dv/F(v)=dx.

The point being that the last line is a differential equation for v as a function of x with separated variables (all the v's on one side, all the x's on the other) so you can presumably solve it more easily than solving
    m x''(t) = F(x'(t))
    for x as a function of t.

10. Dec 7, 2008 #9
    ok, so understand what i was suppose to do, and got it to work, so was there any reason why they told me what the drag force was?

11. Dec 7, 2008 #10

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably in the next question they are going to ask you to solve the equation by integrating both sides :smile:

12. Dec 7, 2008 #11
    they do ask me that, so do i substitute that in now for F(v)

13. Dec 7, 2008 #12
    never mind i totally got it to work! thank you for all of the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?