1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of motion

1. May 9, 2005 #1
    a car starts from rest and acclerates down a straight track of length L= 1600m with a constant accleration. If the time it takes for the car to travel the final d= 100 m of the track (from 1500m to 1600m) is T=0.125s, then the acceleration of the car is.... the answer is 80.7 m/s^2

this isnt hw, it's actually practice for the final i have tommorow. I havent done this question in awhile, so im not sure how to do it. but here's what i think i should do... im having trouble finding which equation to use. well i have the initial x and final x, and t. and i need to find acceleration. so i think i need to use this formula:

[tex]X = x_0 + v_0*t + 1/2at^2[/tex]

100 = 1500 + 1/2at^2

x final should be 100 right? because the final 100 it needs to travel
    and solve for a? doesnt really make sense. can someone offer some help on which equation i should use?
    Last edited: May 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know you are starting from rest, so you can take

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0*t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 = 0 + 0 + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

You know two distances for x (1500, 1600), and you know the time difference between them. If t is the first time, then t + .125s is the second time. Put your times into the equation with the known distances and you will have two equations for two unknowns that you can solve for a and t.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?