Understanding the Equation of Motion in Particle Mechanics: Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses a question in particle mechanics regarding a particle's motion and velocity. The equation of motion is given as d^2x/dt^2 = -(u)/x^n, where u is an unknown constant. The symbol μ does not have any physical significance, as it is only used in this specific problem.
I am Meaningless
Member advised to use the provided formatting template when starting a new thread in a homework forum.
Hello everybody, I Am Meaningless and I had this doubt when I was reading some illustrations based on questions in Particle mechanics.

So the Question was,

A particle is attracted by a force to a fixed point varying inversely as (distance)^n. If the velocity acquired in falling from an infinite distance to a distance 'a' from the centre be equal to the velocity acquired in falling from rest from distance 'a' to a distance (1/4)'a', prove that n = (3/2)
As this was an illustration it was natural for me to directly look at the solution given to me below it.
They started the problem like this:

The Equation of motion is

d^2x/dt^2 = -(u)/x^n
where u = meu (symbol) and x (from my observations) = distance covered

I did not understand this and would love it if someone could explain this equation

EDIT: I recognised the fact that
acceleration (inversely proportional) distance ^n
and when I equated would result in a proportionality constant, taken as 'u' and since it was being attracted had the negative symbol on it. But does the symbol have any significance? Any physical values?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am Meaningless said:
But does the symbol have any significance?
The symbol μ? No, it is just representing an unknown constant.

Likes I am Meaningless
haruspex said:
The symbol μ? No, it is just representing an unknown constant.
Thanks for your help, just was wondering if perhaps it really was an important equation.

I am Meaningless said:
Thanks for your help, just was wondering if perhaps it really was an important equation.
No, it represents the behaviour in this artificial question. It does not correspond to any actual physics of which I am aware.

haruspex said:
No, it represents the behaviour in this artificial question. It does not correspond to any actual physics of which I am aware.
Okay, Thanks for your help again![emoji1]

1. What is the equation of motion in particle mechanics?

The equation of motion in particle mechanics is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an object's position, velocity, acceleration, and time. It is also known as the second law of motion and is expressed as F=ma, where F is the net force acting on the object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How is the equation of motion derived?

The equation of motion is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The equation is derived by combining this law with the definition of acceleration (change in velocity over time).

3. What does each variable in the equation of motion represent?

The variable F represents the net force acting on the object, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration of the object. These variables are all related to each other through the equation F=ma.

4. How is the equation of motion used in particle mechanics?

The equation of motion is used to calculate the acceleration of an object when the net force acting on it is known. It is also used to predict the motion of objects and understand how different forces can affect their movement.

5. Are there any limitations to the equation of motion in particle mechanics?

Yes, the equation of motion is only applicable to objects that are moving in a straight line and have constant mass. It also does not account for external factors such as air resistance and friction, which can affect the motion of objects in real-world scenarios.