How do I find the equation of the normal line for a given function and point?

In summary, the equation of the normal line of function f(x,y) = x^2+y^2-1 through points (2,1,4) is given by the parametric equations of the line through (2, 1, 4) with direction given by 2\vec{i}+ 4\vec{j}- \vec{k}, which can be found by finding the gradient of the function g(x,y,z) = x^2+y^2-z and plugging in the given point.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the normal line of function f(x,y) = x^2+y^2-1 through points (2,1,4)

Homework Equations

(x-xo)/f_x = (y-yo)/f_y = (z-zo)/f_z

The Attempt at a Solution

so...
f_x = 2x = 4
f_y = 2y = 2
f_z = ?

I don't know how to solve for f_z...
here is random stuff I was doing that *might* be related?
f(x,y) - z = 0
f(x,y) = z = 4

yeah.. any math guru want to show this grasshopper the way?

Physics news on Phys.org
If z = f(x,y) then z -1 = ##x^2 + y^2##. What kind of surface is this? Based on elementary geometry you should know what the normal line looks like. And if you get that far, you can solve this without any calculus at all. I recommend you do so.

That is probably not what your teacher had in mind. However, there is nothing like knowing the answer to help you solve the problem. (I'm not actually joking here -- if you have no idea what the answer should look like you are not ready to tackle a solution).

Given that I've told you how to express z, and provided a hint about what this line should look like, can you proceed now?

You don't "solve for [itex]f_z[/itex]". Your "f" is NOT a function of z!

[itex]z= f(x,y)= x^2+ y^2- 1[/itex] is the same as [itex]x^2+ y^2- z= 1[/itex]. We can think of that as a "level surface" for function [itex]g(x, y, z)= x^2+ y^2- z[/itex]. Now, g is a function of x, y, and z with [itex]g_x= 2x[/itex], [itex]g_y= 2y[/tex], and [itex]g_z= -1[/itex]. So [itex]\nabla g= 2x\vec{i}+ 2y\vec{j}- \vec{k}[/itex] is perpendicular to that surface at every (x, y, z). In particular, at (2, 1, 4) this is [itex]2\vec{i}+ 4\vec{j}- \vec{k}[/itex].

So the problem of "find the normal line" reduces to "find parametric equations of the line through (2, 1, 4) with direction given by [itex]2\vec{i}+ 4\vec{j}- \vec{k}[/itex]". Can you do that?

What is the equation of a normal line?

The equation of a normal line is a mathematical representation of a line that is perpendicular to a given curve at a specific point. It is used to find the slope and y-intercept of the line.

How do you find the equation of a normal line?

To find the equation of a normal line, you first need to find the slope of the tangent line at the given point on the curve. Then, you can use the negative reciprocal of the tangent slope as the slope of the normal line. Finally, plug in the coordinates of the given point and the slope of the normal line into the point-slope form of a line to find the equation.

Why is the equation of a normal line important?

The equation of a normal line is important because it allows us to find the slope and y-intercept of a line that is perpendicular to a given curve at a specific point. This is useful in many applications, such as optimization problems, where we need to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

Can the equation of a normal line be used to find the slope of a curve?

Yes, the equation of a normal line can be used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. The slope of the normal line is equal to the negative reciprocal of the slope of the tangent line at that point, which is the same as the slope of the curve at that point.

Is the equation of a normal line unique?

No, the equation of a normal line is not unique. A given curve can have multiple normal lines at different points, each with a different equation. However, all normal lines to a curve at a specific point will have the same slope, which is the negative reciprocal of the slope of the tangent line at that point.