Find Equation of Parabola Given Zero and Point

• Thread starter LoveandHate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, to find the equation of a parabola given a zero and a point it goes through, you will need to use the general equation y=ax^2+bx+c and solve for the constants a, b, and c by substituting the known values. If you only have one point, you can find a second point by using the symmetry of the parabola. However, if you have an x-intercept and a point, you will need to use the vertex form of the equation y - k = a(x - h)^2, where (h, k) is the vertex. It is important to use the correct form of the equation and to check that all given points satisfy the equation you find.
LoveandHate
stupid question, but if i know a zero of a parabola and a point it goes through, how do i find it's equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
LoveandHate said:
stupid question, but if i know a zero of a parabola and a point it goes through, how do i find it's equation?

y=ax2+bx+c

sub the points into the general equation and solve for the constants a,b and c.

thanks, but what point do i use?

You might not have enough information. You're going to need three points to solve for the three unknowns, a, b, and c.

If you know the vertex and one other point, you can find a third point. Because of the symmetry of the parabola (which I'm assuming opens up or down, not left or right), if you have a point at (x1, y1), there will be another point across the axis of symmetry of the parabola. It will have the same y value, but will have a different x value.

well i assumed, because they only gave me one zero, that that was the vertex of the the parabola. but the discriminant is larger than zero, so it has two. i was going to use the vertex form of the equartion, but that obviously won't work now.
the answer in my book is y=-2x^2-3x+3. this equation works for the point given (1, -2), but it does not work for the zero given (3,0).

i am an honours math student, but i cannot seem to figure this one out!

It would be helpful if you gave us the exact wording of the problem.

Using the two points you gave--(1, -2) and (3, 0), and assuming that the vertex was at (1, -2), I found an equation of a parabola that goes through both points, namely y = (1/2)(x - 1)2 - 2. It's easy to check that both points satisfy this equation.

If you know the vertex (h, k) and one other point, you can find the equation of a parabola. The form to use is y - k = a(x - h)2. You can find a by substituting the point that isn't the vertex into this equation, which is what I did.

yeahh. i completely understand what you did. i did that too, but i don't want to assume that (1, -2) is the vertex if they don't tell me.
the question says: "Determine the equation of a quadratic function that satisfies each set of conditions. b) x-intercept 3, and passing through the point (1, -2).
The answer they give is y=-2x^2-3x+3.

That equation works if it is the y-intercept that is 3 - the point (0, 3). It doesn't work if an x-intercept is 3 -- the point (3, 0).

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a curved shape that is formed by the graph of a quadratic function. It is a symmetrical shape with a single bend, and can either open upwards or downwards depending on the coefficients of the quadratic equation.

2. How do I find the equation of a parabola given its zero and a point?

To find the equation of a parabola given its zero and a point, you can use the standard form of a quadratic equation, y = ax^2 + bx + c. Plug in the given values for the zero and point to form a system of equations, and then solve for the coefficients a, b, and c using algebraic methods.

3. What is the significance of the zero of a parabola?

The zero of a parabola, also known as the x-intercept, is where the parabola crosses the x-axis. It is an important point to determine as it tells us the value(s) of x where the parabola intersects with the horizontal axis.

4. Can there be more than one parabola that passes through a given zero and point?

Yes, there can be more than one parabola that passes through a given zero and point. This is because a parabola can be shifted and stretched in different ways while still maintaining the same zero and point. However, the orientation and shape of the parabolas may differ.

5. How can I verify that the equation I found is indeed the equation of the parabola passing through the given zero and point?

You can verify the equation by substituting the values of the zero and point into the equation and checking if they satisfy the equation. If the values do not satisfy the equation, then the equation is not correct and you may have made a mistake in your calculations.