What is the role of 'd' in defining a plane's normal form?

• Thread starter sundar0206
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planes
In summary, The conversation discusses writing a class for defining a plane in software programming. It explains the equation for a plane in its normal form and how the value of d is determined. It also clarifies the role of d in the vector equation of a plane and its representation in cartesian coordinates. The conversation ends with a rephrased question asking for an explanation of d in relation to the origin of the coordinate system.
sundar0206
Hi guys,

I am sort of new here. So I am not pretty sure if I am to post this question in here.

I am a software programmer and I need to write a class for defining a plane. I came across the plane in its normal form nx+ny+nz+d=0

I need to feed in the values of the plane from another part of my program.

I can understand that nx,ny and nz are the normals of the plane. So where does the d come from. How exactly do you arrive at the value of d;

May sound very basic but then it would be nice if some one could help me out

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The equation should read nxx+nyy+nzz+d=0. d essentially defines how far the plane is from the origin of the coordinate system.

If I may rephrase my question:

If the orign of my co ordinate system is (0,0,0) then d is the distance between (0,0,0) and which point on the plane ? Or am I totally misunderstanding this?? Can you please explain

Ok, let us first try to come up with the vector equation of the plane, and then we will switch to cartesian coordinates, and you will probbably see how the d comes into play.

A plane is generally uniqely determined by a point call it [tex] P_o(x_o,y_o,z_o)[/tex] and a vector normal on the plane [tex]n=<a,b,c>[/tex]

Now, let P(x,y,z) be any other point in the plane, then its position vector would be:

[tex]r=<x,y,z>[/tex]

while let

[tex]r_o=<x_o,y_o,z_o>[/tex] be the position vector to the point P_o.

Now, if you draw a picture you will se that the following relation holds:

[tex](r-r_o)*n=0[/tex]

"*" holds for the dot product. Notice that (r-ro) and n are normal vectors.

Now, switching to the coordinate representation of the above vectors we get:

[tex]<x-x_o,y-y_o,z-z_o>*<a,b,c>=0=>a(x-x_o)+b(y-y_o)+c(z-z_o)=0[/tex]

After rearranging the stuff in there we get:

[tex]ax+by+cz-(ax_o+by_o+cz_o)=0[/tex]

So,

[tex]d=-(ax_o+by_o+cz_o)[/tex]

oh..
many thanks for explaining stuff to me.. I got confused after looking at many websites none of which gave me what d is .

Thanks anyways

sundar0206 said:
If I may rephrase my question:

If the orign of my co ordinate system is (0,0,0) then d is the distance between (0,0,0) and which point on the plane ? Or am I totally misunderstanding this?? Can you please explain
Take a line normal to the plane starting at the origin. This line will hit the plane at a distance d from the origin. The hit point will have coordinates (-dnx,-dny,-dnz)

1. What is the equation of a plane?

The equation of a plane is a mathematical representation of a flat surface in three-dimensional space. It is typically written in the form Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant term.

2. How do you find the equation of a plane?

To find the equation of a plane, you need to know at least three points on the plane or two vectors that lie on the plane. You can then use these points or vectors to determine the values of A, B, and C in the equation Ax + By + Cz + D = 0. Once you have these values, you can solve for D by plugging in one of the points or vectors.

3. What is the normal vector of a plane?

The normal vector of a plane is a vector that is perpendicular to the plane. It is represented by the coefficients A, B, and C in the equation of the plane. The direction of the normal vector tells you the direction in which the plane is facing.

4. Can you determine the equation of a plane from a point and a normal vector?

Yes, you can determine the equation of a plane from a point and a normal vector. The point will serve as one of the points on the plane, and the normal vector will provide the values of A, B, and C in the equation Ax + By + Cz + D = 0. You can then solve for D by plugging in the coordinates of the point.

5. How do you know if two planes are parallel?

Two planes are parallel if their normal vectors are parallel, meaning they have the same direction. This means that the coefficients A, B, and C in their equations are proportional to each other. For example, if one plane has the equation 2x + 3y + 5z + 4 = 0, the other plane would have an equation of the form 2kx + 3ky + 5kz + c = 0, where k and c are constants. If the normal vectors of two planes are not parallel, they will intersect at a line.