1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of resistance

1. Apr 7, 2012 #1
    Voltage(V) is proportional to current(I). And so V=(a constant)*I. That constant is known as resistance(R), where R=V/I. Why can't we write that I proportional to V and then write R=I/V??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2012 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 8, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

We write G=I/V
    and the units of G used to be known as mhos (that's Ohms spelled backwards) with symbol an upsidedown Ω (omega).

Nowadays, the units have been renamed an uninteresting "siemens". :frown:

5. Apr 8, 2012 #4
    Because that is not the reality? I know VR != I. If that were the case, current would increase with resistance. Which completely disagrees with our current definition of resistance!

EDIT:
    Oh, I misinterpreted your post. Well, yes, of course you could. But R would be a different quantity, as the right side of the equation implies.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  6. Apr 12, 2012 #5
    Could you please make it clear???

7. Apr 12, 2012 #6

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Resistance (R) is DEFINED to be what it is. There is no "reason" for it, it is just a convention.

And again, the quantity I/V already has a name of its own: conductance (G), which has the units of Siemens.

8. Apr 12, 2012 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I think you means 1/R.

Remember: R is 'how hard'
    and G is 'how easy'.

9. Apr 12, 2012 #8
    Thanks f95toli.. i think your answer is quite satisfying for me.....

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook