1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of spheroid

1. May 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a doubt on spheroid equations. A prolate spheroid is obtained by rotating the ellipse,
    X^2/a^2 + Y^2/b^2 = 1 {Here a is major axis}
    about the semi-major axis a(i.e. X axis). Its equation is,
    X^2/a^2 + [Y^2+Z^2]/b^2 = 1
    An oblate spheroid is obtained by rotating the ellipse,
    X^2/a^2 + Y^2/b^2 = 1 {Here b is major axis}
    about the semi-minor axis a(i.e. X axis).Its equation is,
    The problem is that both equations are identical. What I have done is that I have taken ‘a’ always along X axis and ‘b’ always along Y axis. Is it necessary that the equations be distinguishable?

2. Relevant equations

X^2/a^2 + Y^2/b^2 = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

In order distinguish between the two, I will have to take ‘a’ along Y axis for one of them. Suppose I take ‘a’ along the Y axis for oblate spheroid case, the equation of the oblate spheroid is got by rotating the ellipse,
    X^2/b^2 + Y^2/a^2 = 1
    about the semi-minor axis ‘b’(i.e. X axis).Its equation is,
    X^2/b^2 + [Y^2+Z^2]/a^2 = 1
    Another way is to rotate the ellipse,
    X^2/a^2 + Y^2/b^2 = 1 {Here a is major axis}
    first along X axis(i.e. ‘a’) for prolate spheroid in which case the equation becomes,
    And then along Y axis(i.e. ‘b’) for oblate spheroid in which case the equation becomes,
    [X^2+Z^2]/a^2 + Y^2/b^2 = 1 {Here b is major axis}

Is there a better way to this? Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2007 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Start with the general ellipsoid:
    [tex] \left(\frac{x}{a}\right)^2+\left(\frac{y}{b}\right)^2+\left(\frac{z}{c}\right)^2 = 1[/tex]

if it is rotationally symmetric around any one principle axis the the (a,b,c) coefficients for the other two must be equal. Example: if you have rotational symmetry about x then b=c. Further in this example if a is much bigger than b=c then the ellipsoid is cigar shaped. If a is much smaller than b=c then it is "cow-pie" shaped.

Regards,
    J. Baugh

4. May 26, 2007 #3
    Could you please say what are the shapes of Cigar and Cow-pie in this context?

5. May 27, 2007 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, take a highly eccentric ellipse. Rotate about the long axis and you have an ellipsoid that is long and cylindrical like a tapered cigar.

Take the same ellipse and rotate about the short axis and you have a tapered disk shaped ellipsoid, like the shape of a discus used in track-n-field events or like the pile of defecant a cow leaves behind.

Regards,
    James Baugh

6. May 27, 2007 #5
    So, the equation of prolate spheroid is,
    for a>b=c
    and the equation of oblate spheroid is also,
    but here a<b=c. I that what u meant?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?