1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation Of State

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1
    It is known that the combination of (p, v, t) gives Equation if State. Okay, what if we have the intervention of the internal as well, i.e, U=cte*PV for example. Can this be also considered as an equation of state?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2013 #2
    How do we know what U or cte are?

4. Mar 31, 2013 #3
    Excuse me, U: internal energy. Cte any constant relating those variables. My case was cte=3/2

5. Mar 31, 2013 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

An equations of state is an equation that relates state variables, so yes, that would be an equation of state. Note that your example is just a trivial modification of the usual equation of state, due to the fact that there is a direct linear relation between U and T.

6. Mar 31, 2013 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

If you give such a U (notice that it depends explicitly on some intensive parameters), it would be an equation of state. If you however give U in function of S, V and n (extensive parameters), you have all the information of the system and in such a case you'd have a fundamental equation from which you could derive up 3 equations of state.

7. Apr 1, 2013 #6
    Thank you both for clearing things up!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook