Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation Of State

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1
    It is known that the combination of (p, v, t) gives Equation if State. Okay, what if we have the intervention of the internal as well, i.e, U=cte*PV for example. Can this be also considered as an equation of state?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2013 #2
    How do we know what U or cte are?

4. Mar 31, 2013 #3
    Excuse me, U: internal energy. Cte any constant relating those variables. My case was cte=3/2

5. Mar 31, 2013 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

An equations of state is an equation that relates state variables, so yes, that would be an equation of state. Note that your example is just a trivial modification of the usual equation of state, due to the fact that there is a direct linear relation between U and T.

6. Mar 31, 2013 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

If you give such a U (notice that it depends explicitly on some intensive parameters), it would be an equation of state. If you however give U in function of S, V and n (extensive parameters), you have all the information of the system and in such a case you'd have a fundamental equation from which you could derive up 3 equations of state.

7. Apr 1, 2013 #6
    Thank you both for clearing things up!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook