Equation of Tangent Line for y = arctan(x) at (sqrt3,0)

In summary, the conversation is about determining the equation of a tangent line to a curve at a given point. The equation given by the student appears to have a typo, leading to confusion about isolating y. The equation is eventually simplified to y=0, which represents a straight line with a slope of 0. There is some discussion about whether this can be considered a tangent line, and a paper is shared for further reading. The student will double check the original source for any errors and consult with their tutor for clarification.
Jimbo57

Homework Statement

Give the equation of the line tangent to the curve at the given point.

ytan^-1x = xy at (sqrt3,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would it be right to do an implicit differentiation or to isolate for y here?

I isolated for y and got y=1/(tan^-1x-x)

deriving: y' = x^2/((1+x^2)(tan^-1x-x))

That's where I'm confused, at the initial differentiation.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Jim

Physics news on Phys.org
There is something funny about your equation. Are you sure it is copied correctly? If ##y\ne 0## you have ##\arctan(x) = x## and if ##y=0##, then ##x## can be anything.

Yep, it's copied correctly.

y*tan^-1(x) = x*y

LCKurtz, when I plug this into Wolfram Alpha, I get a straight vertical line... There is no tangent line for a straight vertical line am I right?

Look at what I observed earlier. If ##y=0##, then ##x## can be anything. That is the ##x## axis, not the ##y## axis.

Hmm, I am a little confused. To my uneducated eye, if y= 0, doesn't that just make x=0 as well?

0*arctanx = x*0
0=0

Is this wrong?

Jimbo57 said:
Hmm, I am a little confused. To my uneducated eye, if y= 0, doesn't that just make x=0 as well?

0*arctanx = x*0
0=0

Is this wrong?

Please quote the post to which you are replying, like I just did. No it doesn't "make x = 0". When ##y=0## it doesn't tell you anything about x because it gives 0=0 no matter what x is. Every value of ##x## works if ##y=0##.

LCKurtz said:
Please quote the post to which you are replying, like I just did. No it doesn't "make x = 0". When ##y=0## it doesn't tell you anything about x because it gives 0=0 no matter what x is. Every value of ##x## works if ##y=0##.

Oh sorry about the quote thing!

I see what you're saying. Do you think there is a typo? I haven't encountered a problem like this and I doubt it's a "thinker" question if it's throwing a retired math professor a curve ball hah.

Jimbo57 said:
I see what you're saying. Do you think there is a typo?

Isn't that what I suggested in my first post? But given the question as posted, you can still answer it since the only function that equation represents is ##y=0##.

Jimbo57 said:

Homework Statement

Give the equation of the line tangent to the curve at the given point.

ytan^-1x = xy at (sqrt3,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would it be right to do an implicit differentiation or to isolate for y here?

I isolated for y and got y=1/(tan^-1x-x)

deriving: y' = x^2/((1+x^2)(tan^-1x-x))

That's where I'm confused, at the initial differentiation.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Jim

How did you isolate y ? Let's try it

Assume [tex]y \neq 0[/tex]

We begin with

[tex] y arctan(x) \, = \, xy [/tex]

Moving all the terms to the left hand side (subtracting xy)

[tex] yarctan(x) \, - \, xy \, = \, 0 [/tex]

Factoring out y on the left hand side..

[tex] y(arctan(x) \, - \, x) \, = \, 0 [/tex]

Dividing both sides by (arctan(x) - x)

[tex] y \, = \, \frac{0}{arctan(x) \, - \, x} [/tex]

====>

[tex] y \, = \, 0 [/tex]

Of course you could have seen this by inspecting the original equation. If you divide both sides by y you get

[tex]arctan(x) \, - \, x \, = \, 0 [/tex]

Likes 1 person
Skins said:
How did you isolate y ? Let's try it

Assume [tex]y \neq 0[/tex]

We begin with

[tex] y arctan(x) \, = \, xy [/tex]

Moving all the terms to the left hand side (subtracting xy)

[tex] yarctan(x) \, - \, xy \, = \, 0 [/tex]

Factoring out y on the left hand side..

[tex] y(arctan(x) \, - \, x) \, = \, 0 [/tex]

Dividing both sides by (arctan(x) - x)

[tex] y \, = \, \frac{0}{arctan(x) \, - \, x} [/tex]

====>

[tex] y \, = \, 0 [/tex]

Of course you could have seen this by inspecting the original equation. If you divide both sides by y you get

[tex]arctan(x) \, - \, x \, = \, 0 [/tex]

Ah yes. In my original factoring process, I left a 1 on the right hand side for some reason. So now, thanks to the help of both you and LCKurtz, I have y = 0.

Can the question even be answered? For y= 0 there is no tangent line. Unless, that is the answer they want...

LCKurtz said:
Isn't that what I suggested in my first post? But given the question as posted, you can still answer it since the only function that equation represents is ##y=0##.

Jimbo57 said:
Can the question even be answered? For y= 0 there is no tangent line. Unless, that is the answer they want...

Didn't I already answer that? Do straight lines have tangent lines?

Jimbo57 said:
Ah yes. In my original factoring process, I left a 1 on the right hand side for some reason. So now, thanks to the help of both you and LCKurtz, I have y = 0.

Well, y=0 is a linear equation.We could write it as y = 0x, it's slope being 0. Geometrically its the x-axis as for any x, y = 0. So it's tangent line is y=0, in essence the "tangent line" of a linear function is the function itself, although it is not as intuitive to visualize geometrically as with many nonlinear functions.

I stumbled across this paper which is kind of interesting. If you like reading about mathematical stuff you may enjoy this.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=tangent+line+to+a+linear+function&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEkQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmathdl.maa.org%2Fimages%2Fupload_library%2F22%2FPolya%2F07468342.di020721.02p01112.pdf&ei=4wOgUfftN8ry0gH-koCIBw&usg=AFQjCNG0Zz-29qqQn3j4KTXx1SbusB3jPA&bvm=bv.47008514,d.dmQ

Likes 1 person
Jimbo57 said:
Yep, it's copied correctly.
Can you go back and double check, right back to the original source?

NascentOxygen said:
Can you go back and double check, right back to the original source?

Yeah, I quadruple checked the original source. I'll probably speak with my tutor (it's a distance course) about it.

I really appreciate the input folks!

What is the equation of a tangent line?

The equation of a tangent line is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. It is written in the form y = mx + b, where m represents the slope of the line and b represents the y-intercept.

How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to know the coordinates of the point where the tangent line touches the curve. Then, you can use the derivative of the function to find the slope at that point and plug it into the equation y = mx + b. You can also use the point-slope form of a line, where the slope is represented by the derivative and the point is the given coordinates.

What is the difference between a secant line and a tangent line?

A secant line is a straight line that intersects a curve at two or more points, while a tangent line touches the curve at only one point. The slope of a secant line represents the average rate of change over a given interval, while the slope of a tangent line represents the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point.

Why is the equation of a tangent line important?

The equation of a tangent line is important because it allows us to approximate the behavior of a curve at a specific point. It can be used to find the slope, which is crucial in understanding the rate of change and the direction of a curve at a given point. It is also used in calculus to solve optimization problems and find critical points.

Can the equation of a tangent line be used for any type of curve?

Yes, the equation of a tangent line can be used for any type of curve, including straight lines, circles, and exponential curves. However, the method for finding the equation may vary depending on the type of curve and the given point of tangency.