1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of tangent plane to surface and parametric equations to normal line question

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1

s3a

I'm attaching the question, answer, and my work. My work is almost 100% correct except that there are two coefficients of t that are supposed to be positive instead of negative and I marked those with red writing and would appreciate an explanation as to why this is the case.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2
    Re: Equation of tangent plane to surface and parametric equations to normal line ques

You have a sign error because you forgot to transform the equation in its (f(x,y,z)=0 form
    that is, from the first formula you must substract z
    that would give you the function F(x,y,z)=x²+2xy+5y²+x+3y+1-z
    (notice that z changes sign which is what did not happen in your solution)
    if you continue from there, you will get to a solution identical to the known answer (except maybe t will have a minus sign, but everywhere, so it doesn't change anything)

Cheers...

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Equation of tangent plane to surface and parametric equations to normal line ques

For your tangent plane you have z = -13x - 43y - 112. You can also write this in standard form as 13x + 43y + z = -12. From this form, a normal vector can be obtained by inspection: <13, 43, 1>.

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4

s3a

Thanks guys, I get it now! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook