Exploring t-Distribution: Question & Answer

• Thread starter s3a
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is asking for an explanation as to why there are two coefficients of t that are negative in their work, when they should be positive. Another person responds by pointing out that the speaker made a sign error and explains how to correct it. The speaker then thanks them for their help.
s3a
I'm attaching the question, answer, and my work. My work is almost 100% correct except that there are two coefficients of t that are supposed to be positive instead of negative and I marked those with red writing and would appreciate an explanation as to why this is the case.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• P7.jpg
    P7.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,633
  • MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,000
Physics news on Phys.org

You have a sign error because you forgot to transform the equation in its (f(x,y,z)=0 form
that is, from the first formula you must substract z
that would give you the function F(x,y,z)=x²+2xy+5y²+x+3y+1-z
(notice that z changes sign which is what did not happen in your solution)
if you continue from there, you will get to a solution identical to the known answer (except maybe t will have a minus sign, but everywhere, so it doesn't change anything)

Cheers...

s3a said:
I'm attaching the question, answer, and my work. My work is almost 100% correct except that there are two coefficients of t that are supposed to be positive instead of negative and I marked those with red writing and would appreciate an explanation as to why this is the case.

Thanks in advance!

For your tangent plane you have z = -13x - 43y - 112. You can also write this in standard form as 13x + 43y + z = -12. From this form, a normal vector can be obtained by inspection: <13, 43, 1>.

Thanks guys, I get it now! :)

What is the t-distribution?

The t-distribution is a probability distribution that is used to estimate the population mean when the sample size is small and the population standard deviation is unknown. It is similar to the normal distribution but has heavier tails, meaning it is more likely to produce extreme values.

When is the t-distribution used?

The t-distribution is used when the population standard deviation is unknown and the sample size is small (typically less than 30). It is commonly used in hypothesis testing and confidence interval calculations.

What is the relationship between the t-distribution and the standard normal distribution?

The t-distribution is related to the standard normal distribution in that as the sample size increases, the t-distribution approaches the standard normal distribution. This means that for large sample sizes, the t-distribution can be approximated by the standard normal distribution.

What is a degrees of freedom (df) in the t-distribution?

The degrees of freedom in the t-distribution refers to the number of independent observations in a sample. It is important because it determines the shape of the t-distribution and affects the critical values used in hypothesis testing and confidence interval calculations.

How is the t-distribution used in hypothesis testing?

The t-distribution is used in hypothesis testing by comparing the calculated t-statistic to the critical t-value from the t-distribution table. If the calculated t-statistic is greater than the critical t-value, then the null hypothesis is rejected and the alternative hypothesis is accepted. This helps determine if there is a significant difference between two sample means.