1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of y vs x

1. Nov 2, 2004 #1

what is equation of the graph of y vs x?

I lost all my data for this physics project and all I have left are these notations. I would be able to find an equation if I had my graph. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

those are parametric equations isolate t, then substitute in the other, and graph it.
  4. Nov 2, 2004 #3
    I didn't catch that, can you explain it in more detail?
  5. Nov 2, 2004 #4
    I think he means that find t in term of x and subsitute the t into the second equation of yours.
  6. Nov 2, 2004 #5

Homework Helper

sorry, i was away, yes what leong said.
  7. Nov 2, 2004 #6
    ahh...so it's similar to a system of equations
  8. Nov 3, 2004 #7
    Urban, the graph of the equations would be a parabola. I'm not real good at math but I think you can graph the equation by substituting values for t in both equations and evaluating to get the x and y points for each value of t. For instance, for t=0, x=0.181 and y=0.455 ... for t=1, x=4.461 and y=11.435 ... for t=2, x=8.741 and y=35.355 and so on for as many + and - values of t as you need. Plot the points and connect them as a smooth curve.
  9. Nov 3, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, but that's irrelevant to the question asked.
  10. Nov 6, 2004 #9
    Well, Ivy, I don't believe it is irrelevant. Urban did say the equation could be found with the graph and any help would be appreciated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?