1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation problem

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the equation 2x ^ 3 - 15X ^ 2 + 30 x - 7 = 0 has roots a, b ​​and c to find the value of the expression a ^ 3 + b ^ 3 + c ^ 3. Also to be found without using the types Vieta,the equation with roots 1 / (a-3), 1 / (b-3), 1 / (c-3)

2. Relevant equations
    I found the first part of a^3+b^3+c^3=754/8 but i cant find the second part of the exercise without using the type of vieta any ideas?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Wouldn't the equation be given by:

(x-r1)(x-r2)(x-r3) ?

4. Sep 2, 2012 #3
    yea but he (x-r1)(x-r2)(x-r3) conclude to the types of vietta.. he says to find the equation without to use vietta

5. Sep 2, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

What method did you use to determine this?

6. Sep 2, 2012 #5
    i used the types of vietta and i found abc,a+b+c,ab+bc+ca cuz its says to not use vietta types only in second statement and then i used eulers equation

a^3+b^3+c^3=3abc+(a+b+c)(a^2+b^2+c^2-ab-bc-ca)

7. Sep 2, 2012 #6

NascentOxygen

So you as good as solved for the individual roots, then multiplied all 3 to get abc, and added all 3 to get a+b+c, etc?

8. Sep 2, 2012 #7
    yea as you know vietta is formed like this

abc=-d/a, a+b+c=-b/a, ab+bc+ca=c/a

9. Sep 2, 2012 #8

NascentOxygen

So as you have determined 'a', can you now subtract 3 from that value of 'a' and take the reciprocal to get the new root r1, same for 'b' and 'c', and then multiply out (x-r1)(x-r2)(x-r3) ?

10. Sep 2, 2012 #9
    yea i understand but maybe this (x-r1)(x-r2)(x-r3) guide to vietta types? or not?

11. Sep 3, 2012 #10

NascentOxygen

Is it permissible to work it out from basics, making no reliance on Mr Vieté's formulae? :smile:

Multiplying out (x-(a-3)⁻¹)·(x-(b-3)⁻¹)·(x-(c-3)⁻¹), collecting terms and setting the coefficient of x³ to unity, I can see that the coefficient of x² here can be obtained from the earlier equation as its coefficient of x plus 6 times its coefficient of x² plus a constant. The coefficient of x here can similarly be readily seen.

The difference from that earlier is that there is now no need to have actually solved for a,b, and c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook