Solving Equation Problem: Power Generated by 240V and 12A

• Thread starter brenfox
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a worked example from an open university course on determining power generated by a voltage and current. The correct answer is 1440W, calculated using the equation P=VIcos(ø-ø). Some confusion arises when one person's calculator displays cos(60°) as 0.58 instead of the expected 0.5, but it is clarified that this may be due to the calculator being in grad mode.
brenfox

Homework Statement

Determine the power generated by a voltage V = 240∠15° volts driving a current I = 12 ∠75°

Homework Equations

P=VIcos(ø-ø)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a worked example from my open university course. The answer is 240x12cos(15°-75°) = 1440W. I can not for the life in me work out how they have arrived at this answer. I get cos-60= 0.58. then times 240x12= 1692.9 W. Must be doing something wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
How is cos(60°) equal to 0.58?

gneill said:
How is cos(60°) equal to 0.58?

It is possible that the OP has their calculator in GRAD mode, since cos(60 grad) = 0.588.

But really one shouldn't need a calculator to calculate cos(60°) = 0.5.

Not sure. After inputting cos 60 it came out with 0.58. I am of the understanding cosine 60 equals half. so 240x12x0.5 does equal 1440 Watts . But cosine 60 equates to 0.58 in my calculator.

brenfox said:
Not sure. After inputting cos 60 it came out with 0.58. I am of the understanding cosine 60 equals half. so 240x12x0.5 does equal 1440 Watts . But cosine 60 equates to 0.58 in my calculator.

As pasmith indicated, check to make sure that your calculator is in degree mode for angles, not grad mode.

Likes 1 person

1. How do you calculate power using voltage and current?

The formula for calculating power is P = V x I, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. In this equation, voltage is measured in volts and current is measured in amps.

2. What is the power generated by a 240V and 12A circuit?

Using the formula P = V x I, we can calculate the power generated by a 240V and 12A circuit to be 2,880 watts.

3. How does increasing voltage affect power generation?

An increase in voltage will result in an increase in power generation, as long as the current remains constant. This is because voltage and power have a direct relationship, meaning that as voltage increases, so does power.

4. Can power generation be affected by changing the current?

Yes, power generation can be affected by changing the current. As mentioned before, power is directly proportional to current, so an increase in current will result in an increase in power generation.

5. How is power measured and what unit is it represented in?

Power is measured in watts (W) and is represented by the symbol P. It can be measured using a wattmeter or by calculating it using the formula P = V x I.