How can I increase the equation size in an array for better alignment?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Array
In summary, the equations are smaller when they are in an array, but using thealign environment makes them the size they should be.
Dustinsfl
I had to use an array to center and left align two different equations--a system of DEs.

However, by using array, the equations are smaller than I would like.

How can I increase the the equation size in the array.

$$\displaystyle\begin{array}{lcl}
\frac{dN_1}{dt} & = & r_1N_1\left(1 - \frac{N_1}{K_1} - b_{12}\frac{N_2}{K_1}\right)\\
\frac{dN_2}{dt} & = & r_2N_2\left(1 - b_{21}\frac{N_1}{K_2}\right)
\end{array}$$

On MHB, the equations are a nice size in the array but on a LaTex document they aren't.

I would like my document equations to be the size of the MHB equations in the array.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
I had to use an array to center and left align two different equations--a system of DEs.

\frac{dN_1}{dt} & = & r_1N_1\left(1 - \frac{N_1}{K_1} - b_{12}\frac{N_2}{K_1}\right)\\
\end{array}$$

On MHB, the equations are a nice size in the array but on a LaTex document they aren't.

I would like my document equations to be the size of the MHB equations in the array.

Maybe put \huge in front of it..$$\huge \displaystyle\begin{array}{lcl} \frac{dN_1}{dt} & = & r_1N_1\left(1 - \frac{N_1}{K_1} - b_{12}\frac{N_2}{K_1}\right)\\ \frac{dN_2}{dt} & = & r_2N_2\left(1 - b_{21}\frac{N_1}{K_2}\right) \end{array}$$

Huge is bit too big. Are there any other qualifiers?

I found \large which worked nicely.

dwsmith said:

\end{array}$$

Try instead

\begin{align*}
\frac{dN_1}{dt} & = r_1N_1\left(1 - \frac{N_1}{K_1} - b_{12}\frac{N_2}{K_1}\right)\\
\frac{dN_2}{dt} & = r_2N_2\left(1 - b_{21}\frac{N_1}{K_2}\right).
\end{align*}

The array environment can be used for multi-line equations, but I find the align environment to be much better. You may need to have a usepackage command in there to make it work.

\usepackage{amsmath} for the \begin{align} environment.

1. What is the significance of equation size in an array?

The equation size in an array refers to the number of elements or variables used in a mathematical equation that is stored in the array. This size determines the amount of memory that is needed to store the equation and impacts the efficiency of computations performed on the array.

2. How is the equation size determined in an array?

The equation size is determined by counting the number of variables and operators used in the equation. Each variable and operator counts as one element in the array. For example, if an equation has 3 variables and 2 operators, the equation size would be 5.

3. Can the equation size in an array be changed?

Yes, the equation size in an array can be changed by adding or removing elements. However, this requires resizing the array, which can be a time-consuming process. It is important to carefully consider the equation size needed before creating the array to avoid unnecessary resizing.

4. How does the equation size affect the performance of an array?

The equation size directly impacts the performance of an array. Larger equation sizes require more memory and can slow down computations. It is generally recommended to keep the equation size as small as possible to optimize performance.

5. Is there a limit to the equation size in an array?

Yes, there is a limit to the equation size in an array. This limit is determined by the amount of memory available in the computer. If the equation size exceeds the available memory, it can lead to errors or crashes. It is important to monitor and manage memory usage when working with arrays.