Solve Equation 0 = (cos x)^2 - x^2 or 0 = cos x - x

• Thread starter Eppur si muove
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving an equation of the type 0 = (cos x)^2 - x^2 or 0 = cos x - x analytically. One possible approach is to use a graphing method to find the intersection points. Another suggestion is to use a Taylor series to approximate cos x and solve for x from there. However, finding an exact solution is rare for these types of equations.
Eppur si muove
I came upon an equation similar to 0 = (cos x)^2 - x^2 or even 0 = cos x - x and i don't have a clue how to solve it analytically. I tried taking inverse cosine function on both sides but that still doesn't isolate the x. How would you do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eppur si muove said:
I came upon an equation similar to 0 = (cos x)^2 - x^2 or even 0 = cos x - x and i don't have a clue how to solve it analytically. I tried taking inverse cosine function on both sides but that still doesn't isolate the x. How would you do it?

The first eq.includes the second one as it can easily be factorized:
[tex] \cos^{2}x-x^{2}=(\cos x+x)(\cos x-x)=0 [/tex]

The two equations obtained as called by the mathematicians "transcendental equations".They are exactly analytically solvable (sorry fo pushing English grammar :tongue2: ) very rarely,and the 2 written above NEVER.
It this case an approximative method is useful and the first one that comes to my mind is the graphic one.Simply plot [itex] \cos x [/itex],[itex] x [/itex] & [itex]-x [/itex] and the solutions to your problem will be the intersection points.

Daniel.

I've approached my original problem differently and now have an equation of the type Acos x = Bcos((pi)x/C)). I have a problem expanding it however. Is there an identity that expands cos(ax) into cos x + f(x) or (cos x)f(x) ?

Eppur si muove said:

you could use a taylor series to get a good approximation of cos x and then you should be able to solve for x from that.

that is probably more work than you need to do however, but it is a good place to go if you are desperate.

so there is no ther way? Is it not possible to find an EXACT solution?

See the third sentence of the first reply.

1. How do I solve the equation 0 = (cos x)^2 - x^2?

To solve this equation, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation to find the solutions. The solutions will be the values of x that make the equation equal to 0.

2. What are the solutions to the equation 0 = (cos x)^2 - x^2?

The solutions to this equation are x = 0 and x = ±√2/2. These values can be found by using the quadratic formula or by factoring the equation.

3. Is there more than one way to solve the equation 0 = (cos x)^2 - x^2?

Yes, there are multiple ways to solve this equation. As mentioned, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator or numerical methods to approximate the solutions.

4. How do I know if I have found all the solutions to the equation 0 = (cos x)^2 - x^2?

To ensure you have found all the solutions, you can graph the equation and see where it intersects with the x-axis. You can also check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation to see if they make it equal to 0.

5. What is the difference between the equations 0 = (cos x)^2 - x^2 and 0 = cos x - x?

The first equation is a quadratic equation, while the second is a linear equation. This means that the first equation will have two solutions, while the second equation will only have one solution. Additionally, the solutions to the first equation will be more complex (±√2/2) compared to the simpler solution of x = 0 for the second equation.