1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation tangent with a plane

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the equation of the tangent plane at (2,3,2) to the surface below.
    x^2 + y^2 - xyz = 1

The question asks me to do this in two way, one is to view the surface as the graph of a function of two variables z = g(x,y). and the other one is to view the surface as a level surface for a function f(x,y z).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first part, I already got an answer of z = (-x+y+5)/3, and so the answer to the second one I assume is x-y+3z-5 = 0. but why is it wrong? am I doing something wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

z = (-x+y+5)/3 and x-y+3z-5 = 0 are the same plane. How can one be right and the other one be wrong?

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3
    That's why I am confused as well... I thought I misunderstand the question for a reason... as one asks to answer it to view the surface as the graph of a func of two variables and the other one as three...

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One is probably suggesting you use a cross product and the other to use a gradient to find the normal. But they should both give you the same answer. And they do. Why do you think it's wrong?

6. Feb 19, 2009 #5
    I don't think it's wrong, I think it's correct, but it's a web assign problem and when I submit the answer above it marks it as wrong. However the z = (-x+y+5)/3 is accepted

7. Feb 19, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's web assign's problem. Who do you believe? I think you are correct.

8. Feb 19, 2009 #7
    ok then... hoping for some more inputs

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook