1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation that equates the magnitude of a vector

1. Oct 14, 2004 #1
    I am in 11th grade, in AP Physics... its calculus based, and I have never had calculus so its confusing. At this time I cannot find the equation that equates the magnitude of a vector off of an ai+bj equation. Does anyone know?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2004 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Draw a vector, and mark his components, what figure does it look to you??

4. Oct 14, 2004 #3
    ... thats not what my question was. I need to know how to find the magnitude for a vector before my test today during fifth period...

5. Oct 14, 2004 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

It makes a Triangle, but an specific type of triangle, the one you can apply pythagoras theorem.

a is a component of the vector, and b is another component of the vector.
    Both of these are cathetes(sp?) and the vector's magnitude is the hypotenuse.

6. Oct 14, 2004 #5
    Oh I understand what you were saying. So its just, as per the ai+bj, a^2+b^2=the vector side^2?

And is it just me or does three dimensional vector graphing really blow? :)

Thank you.

7. Oct 14, 2004 #6

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

It's the vector is tridimensional, it's the same for the magnitude, the sum of the squares of the components is equal to the vector's magnitude squared.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  8. Oct 14, 2004 #7
    Ahah! I wont fail my test! Thanks for the help.

9. Dec 5, 2004 #8
    hey.. i hope to take AP physics B next year but i woudnt have done a calclus course by then... is the course manageable without basic knowledge of calculus?

thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?