How can the time variable be isolated in the equation D=VoT+1/2AT^2?

• Thread starter rigory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the student has been struggling to isolate time in the equation D=VoT+1/2AT^2. They have attempted to solve for T but keep getting T on both sides of the equation. Another person suggests using the quadratic function to find the roots, and provides a link for reference. The student expresses gratitude and mentions they were trying to program the equation into a graphing calculator. The person reminds the student that getting help from others is not allowed and encourages them to learn how to solve quadratic functions without a calculator.
rigory

Homework Statement

For quite a while I have been working on this equation and attempting to isolate time, however i have so far been unable to do so.

Homework Equations

D=VoT+1/2AT^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been going through and keep coming up with T on both sides of the equation. I'd very much appreciate any help in this area.

Physics news on Phys.org

rigory said:

Homework Statement

For quite a while I have been working on this equation and attempting to isolate time, however i have so far been unable to do so.

Homework Equations

D=VoT+1/2AT^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been going through and keep coming up with T on both sides of the equation. I'd very much appreciate any help in this area.

to isolate time in [itex] s=vt+1/2at^2 [/itex]

[tex]
1/2AT^2 + VoT - D = 0
[/tex]a=1/2A
b=Vo
c=-D

[tex]X = \frac{-b + \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

we get

[tex]T = \frac{-Vo + \sqrt{(Vo)^2 - 4(1/2A)(-D)}}{2(1/2A)}[/tex]

Last edited:

thanks, i think that will work, I've been trying to program it into a graphing calculator, but couldn't find a way to get it.

Well you're lucky enough Gregg did all the job for you. (By the way it's forbidden according to the forum's rules).
You really should learn how to find roots of any quadratic function. This is a not so hard thing to accomplish and very useful. (Don't use calculator if possible.)

1. What is an equation to isolate time?

An equation to isolate time is a mathematical expression that allows you to solve for the variable of time in a given problem. It typically involves rearranging variables and constants in an equation to isolate the variable of time on one side of the equation.

2. Why is it important to isolate time in equations?

Isolating time in equations is important because it allows us to solve for the time variable, which is often the unknown in many scientific problems. By isolating time, we can determine how long it takes for a process to occur or when an event will happen.

3. What are some common equations used to isolate time?

Some common equations used to isolate time include the distance formula, velocity formula, acceleration formula, and the formula for compound interest. These equations involve rearranging variables such as distance, velocity, and acceleration to solve for the variable of time.

4. Can you provide an example of an equation to isolate time?

Sure, an example of an equation to isolate time is the distance formula: d = rt. In this equation, d represents distance, r represents rate, and t represents time. To isolate time, we can divide both sides by the rate (r) to get the equation t = d/r, which allows us to solve for time.

5. How can I check if my equation to isolate time is correct?

To check if your equation to isolate time is correct, you can substitute your solution for the time variable into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use the solution to solve for other variables in the equation and see if they match the given values. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and see if your solution for time falls on the graph.