1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation vs function

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    Hi,Few days I m trying to find out,what is difference between equation and function,but as I go deeper into it,I m more confused
    I give example,we have velocity as function of time:f(t)=at+Vo....Ok,so this is function of time,but why not,for example of acceleration but only time?Please try to give me some explanation or hint at least,
    When I know,I have a function of time,and when of accleration,that means,if f(t)=at+Vo,is it possible to apply this like this:f(a)=at+Vo?I assume,that is not,but why?
    Thanks for every answer...
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An equation says "something = something_else". So long as you do the same to both sides, you get another equation that means the same thing. (OK, statement is a little bit over-simplified, but let's get the basics sorted out first!)

A function looks similar, but means something different. Think of it as a "rule" that says "if you give me a value of t, this is how I find the value of f(t)."

in your example f(t)=at+Vo, you call f(t) a function of t because you are assuming the other quantities (a and Vo) are known, and t can vary. On the other hand, if t and Vo are known but the acceleration a could vary, you might want to think of it as a function of a, and write f(a) = at+Vo.

In more advanced math, often functions are often not defined by a "formula" like "at + Vo", but by a set of "rules" like

f(t) = 1 it t >= 0, and 0 if t < 0.

That's a perfectly good definition of f(t), because for any value of t you it tells you the value of f(t) (either 0 or 1). But it would be hard (and no more useful) to write a "formula" that defined the same function f(t).
  4. Apr 14, 2013 #3
    Thanks,so this is all magic?If I have other variables constant,then this,which could vary is in brackets?Like f(t),f(a)....
  5. Apr 15, 2013 #4
    Technically, a function must pass the vertical line test or that you cannot have two y values for one x value. A function usually involves two or more variables such as y=x^2+5.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook