Complex Solution to an Exponential Equation

In summary: Well, if it's complex number, i can do that by multiplying with it's conjugate, that's what i did, i can't remember something else.Ok, so that's what i should do then.In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for a but doesn't know how to get started. They think they know how to do it but need to find a. They eventually find that the solution is e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}-1 where k is a real number and n is a natural number.
cdummie

Homework Statement

Solve the following equation: ## (1+a)^n=(1-a)^n## where a is complex number and n is natural number

Homework Equations

Euler's formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried something like this

##
(1+a)^n=(1-a)^n \\

(\frac{1+a}{1-a})^n=1 ##

But i really have no idea what to do next, since that n-th degree complicates things, i mean i could write a as a= x+iy where x and y are real numbers but it won't help much.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about numbers z that satisfy zn = 1? In particular, how many are there?

mfb said:
What do you know about numbers z that satisfy zn = 1? In particular, how many are there?

Well, there are n solutions to such equation, ##z=cos\frac{2\pi +2k\pi}{n} + isin\frac{2\pi +2k\pi}{n}##

Right. Using the ##r e^{i \phi}## notation is probably easier in the next steps.

mfb said:
Right. Using the ##r e^{i \phi}## notation is probably easier in the next steps.

Ok, so, i have ##\frac{1+a}{1-a}=e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}## , but i should find a, what should i do next? Since a is complex number a=x +iy (x, y are real numbers) and then if i multiply and divide LHS by by 1-x +iy it doesn't seem like it gets me any closer to the solution.

Why not? [itex]e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}[/itex] is a constant. If it is bothering you, call it "k". Then [itex]\frac{1+ a}{1- a}= k[/itex] which we can write 1+ a= k(1- a)= k- ka. Can you solve that equation for a? Then, if you need to, write a as x+ iy to solve for x and y.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Why not? [itex]e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}[/itex] is a constant. If it is bothering you, call it "k". Then [itex]\frac{1+ a}{1- a}= k[/itex] which we can write 1+ a= k(1- a)= k- ka. Can you solve that equation for a? Then, if you need to, write a as x+ iy to solve for x and y.

Well, i think it could go this way:

## 1+a=k-ka \\ a+ka=k-1 \\ a=\frac{k-1}{k+1} \\ a=\frac{e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}-1}{e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}+1} ##

Is this correct?

cdummie said:
Well, i think it could go this way:

## 1+a=k-ka \\ a+ka=k-1 \\ a=\frac{k-1}{k+1} \\ a=\frac{e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}-1}{e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}+1} ##

Is this correct?
Looks on track, but ...
What happens when ##\frac{k}{n}=\frac{1}{2}##?

Samy_A said:
Looks on track, but ...
What happens when ##\frac{k}{n}=\frac{1}{2}##?

I think i know what are you trying to say, denominator can't be zero, so this works for every k and n except when n=2k.

cdummie said:
I think i know what are you trying to say, denominator can't be zero, so this works for every k and n except when n=2k.

Yes, but can you simply that expression you have?

cdummie said:
Indeed, because in your derivation you at a point divided by ##e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}+1##, and that doesn't work if that value is 0.
As @PeroK suggested, you can simplify your result.

PeroK said:
Yes, but can you simply that expression you have?

Let's see, i guess i could multiply numerator and denominator by ## cos\frac{2k\pi}{n} + 1 - sin\frac{2k\pi}{n} ## is this the thing i should do?

There is no need to start with cosine and sine. How can you expand every fraction to make its denominator real?

mfb said:
There is no need to start with cosine and sine. How can you expand every fraction to make its denominator real?

Well, if it's complex number, i can do that by multiplying with it's conjugate, that's what i did, i can't remember something else.

Right, multiply both sides with its complex conjugate (but don't use sine and cosine, they just make it messy).

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that consists of both a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter "i", which is equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you write an equation with complex numbers?

To write an equation with complex numbers, you use the standard algebraic operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, but you also include the imaginary unit "i" and its powers.

3. What is the difference between a real number and a complex number?

A real number is any number that can be represented on a number line, including both positive and negative numbers. A complex number, on the other hand, has both a real and an imaginary part, and cannot be represented on a number line.

4. How do you solve an equation with complex numbers?

To solve an equation with complex numbers, you use the same methods as you would for solving equations with real numbers, such as combining like terms and isolating the variable. However, you must also pay attention to the imaginary parts and use the fact that "i" squared is equal to -1.

5. In what fields is the use of complex numbers most common?

The use of complex numbers is most common in the fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are often used to solve problems involving electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.