1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation with complex number

1. Dec 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the following equation: ## (1+a)^n=(1-a)^n## where a is complex number and n is natural number

2. Relevant equations
    Euler's formula

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried something like this

##
    (1+a)^n=(1-a)^n \\

(\frac{1+a}{1-a})^n=1 ##

But i really have no idea what to do next, since that n-th degree complicates things, i mean i could write a as a= x+iy where x and y are real numbers but it won't help much.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What do you know about numbers z that satisfy zn = 1? In particular, how many are there?

4. Dec 7, 2015 #3
    Well, there are n solutions to such equation, ##z=cos\frac{2\pi +2k\pi}{n} + isin\frac{2\pi +2k\pi}{n}##

5. Dec 7, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Right. Using the ##r e^{i \phi}## notation is probably easier in the next steps.

6. Dec 8, 2015 #5
    Ok, so, i have ##\frac{1+a}{1-a}=e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}## , but i should find a, what should i do next? Since a is complex number a=x +iy (x, y are real numbers) and then if i multiply and divide LHS by by 1-x +iy it doesn't seem like it gets me any closer to the solution.

7. Dec 8, 2015 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why not? [itex]e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}[/itex] is a constant. If it is bothering you, call it "k". Then [itex]\frac{1+ a}{1- a}= k[/itex] which we can write 1+ a= k(1- a)= k- ka. Can you solve that equation for a? Then, if you need to, write a as x+ iy to solve for x and y.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2015
  8. Dec 8, 2015 #7
    Well, i think it could go this way:

## 1+a=k-ka \\ a+ka=k-1 \\ a=\frac{k-1}{k+1} \\ a=\frac{e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}-1}{e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}+1} ##

Is this correct?

9. Dec 8, 2015 #8

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks on track, but ...
    What happens when ##\frac{k}{n}=\frac{1}{2}##?

10. Dec 8, 2015 #9
    I think i know what are you trying to say, denominator can't be zero, so this works for every k and n except when n=2k.

11. Dec 8, 2015 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but can you simply that expression you have?

12. Dec 8, 2015 #11

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Indeed, because in your derivation you at a point divided by ##e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}+1##, and that doesn't work if that value is 0.
    As @PeroK suggested, you can simplify your result.

13. Dec 8, 2015 #12
    Let's see, i guess i could multiply numerator and denominator by ## cos\frac{2k\pi}{n} + 1 - sin\frac{2k\pi}{n} ## is this the thing i should do?

14. Dec 8, 2015 #13

mfb

2016 Award

There is no need to start with cosine and sine. How can you expand every fraction to make its denominator real?

15. Dec 8, 2015 #14
    Well, if it's complex number, i can do that by multiplying with it's conjugate, that's what i did, i can't remember something else.

16. Dec 8, 2015 #15

mfb

2016 Award

Right, multiply both sides with its complex conjugate (but don't use sine and cosine, they just make it messy).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted