1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation with exponential

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This regards a question on heat capacity; I'm trying to find the temperature at which the heat capacity is maximum. After differentiating the heat capacity expression, equating to zero, and rearranging (all of which I have omitted), my problem boils down to:

exp(x) = (x + 2)/(x - 2)

Solve for x. (x in this context is theta/T, but I don't think it's relevant since I'm trying to find their ratio)

2. Relevant equations

See above

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated x = 2.4 by trial-and-error, and the maximum heat hapacity for this value is in agreement with the my textbook. I just don't know how to solve it properly!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "solve it properly"? A numerical solution is perfectly valid. In this equation, with x both in and outside of the exponential, there is no "elementary" solution. You could try Lambert's W function which is defined as the inverse of the function xex but that is no more "proper" than a numerical solution.

4. Jan 15, 2007 #3
    Ah, sorry, I just thought there was a "neater" solution that was eluding me. Thanks for clearing that up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?