Can the equation x! + (x-3)! = 16x - 24 be solved for x?

• Thread starter Alesak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorials
In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical equation that has been difficult for the participants to solve. It is determined that the equation has no integer solutions and can only be solved for specific values using the Gamma function. The possibility of finding a solution in the form of x = something is also explored, but ultimately it is concluded that there are only four possible solutions for positive values of x and infinite solutions for negative values near 0, -1, -2, -3.
Alesak
hello everyone,
I usually post my questions on one small czech mathematical forum, but here is an equation no one knows how to "solve". I`ve came to it by accident, when I made an mistake in one combinatorics equation.

[tex]x! + (x-3)! = 16x - 24[/tex]

its fairly simple to solve in one way(x has to be greater than 2, and from some point left side is greater than right side, because (x-3)! is always greater then 0 and we don`t have to care about -24 on the right side, so we can check for which x is x! > 16x. this leaves us only very few possibilities for x to check).

this is nice, but I`d like to know if its possible to get it in form x = something. I can`t think of any way how to do it.

also, this equation doesn`t have any solution, its rather theoretical question.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If x can be a real number (using Gamma function) you can find 4 solutions betweeen 1 and 4.5 (by plotting method or std numeric method).
x1=1.1837
x2=1.3134
x3=2.1222
x4=4.4099
There are also 5 negative solution... None is integer.

It is simple to check that there is no integer solution. Factorials increase far more rapidly than a linear function, more rapidly than exponentials even. We know x>2. For x=4, the LHS is smaller than the RHS, for x=5 it is larger, thus there is no integer x where they are equal.

I have also tried this in several different ways, I got:

x! = ( 8x (x-2) (x-1) (x-1.5) )/( x (x-1) ( x-2) +1 )

which means no integer values...

Is this really all?

Plotting the function (remebering x!=Gamma(x+1))
G(x)=Gamma(x + 1) + Gamma(x - 2) - 16x + 24
you can see that for x>0 there are only four zeros.
For x<0 there are infinite solutions near 0,-1,-2,-3...none exacly integer.
There Gamma function is singular (has a pole) and change sign.

1. What is an equation with factorials?

An equation with factorials is a mathematical equation that involves the use of factorial notation, which is represented by an exclamation mark (!). A factorial is the product of all positive integers less than or equal to a given number. For example, 5! = 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120. Equations with factorials are used to solve problems involving permutations and combinations.

2. How do you solve an equation with factorials?

To solve an equation with factorials, you can use algebraic manipulation techniques such as factoring, distributing, and combining like terms. You can also use the properties of factorials, such as the product rule and the quotient rule, to simplify the equation. Additionally, you can use a calculator or a computer program to find the value of a factorial or to solve the equation numerically.

3. What are some common applications of equations with factorials?

Equations with factorials are commonly used in probability and statistics to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario. They are also used in combinatorics to find the number of ways that a set of objects can be arranged or combined. Additionally, equations with factorials are used in the study of permutations and combinations, as well as in the field of number theory.

4. Can equations with factorials have negative numbers?

No, equations with factorials cannot have negative numbers. Since factorials are only defined for positive integers, equations with factorials can only involve positive numbers. However, some equations may involve negative numbers in other parts of the equation, but the factorial itself must always have a positive integer as its input.

5. Are there any special rules for solving equations with factorials?

Yes, there are some special rules for solving equations with factorials. One rule is the factorial rule, which states that the factorial of a sum is equal to the product of the factorials of the individual numbers. Another rule is the factorial identity, which states that the factorial of a number minus one is equal to the number multiplied by the factorial of the number minus one. It is important to follow these rules when solving equations with factorials to ensure accurate results.