1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation with two variables

1. Jan 9, 2014 #1
    Problem:
    Find all the positive integer solutions where x and y are odd numbers, to the equation: 17x+11y=1000

Attempt of solution:

First attempt:
    With Diophantine equation have gotten the answers:

x=2000
    y=-3000

and the general solutions will be:

x=2000-11k
    y=-3000+17k

Now I don't know what to do.

Second attempt:
    If I skip the Diophantine solution and do it like this:

y=(1000-11x)/17

Now I see that x has to be in the interval 0≤x≤58 if y should be positive.

If I test all the odd numbers in the interval I'll get 3 solutions when both x and y are positive and odd numbers. The solutions are:

(x, y) = (9, 77), (31, 43) and (53, 9)

This solutions (which should be the right answer) takes alot of time because you have to test all odd numbers between 0 to 58 (29 different numbers).

I need help to find an easier solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't want to check all those numbers you should use your Diophantine solution. You just have to figure out what values of k will make both x and y positive. There aren't that many.

4. Jan 10, 2014 #3
    Thanks, that makes sense!

Then I just have following numbers k= 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 to make x and y positive and only k= 177, 179, 181 to make them positive AND odd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted