How to Check Your Solutions for Equations?

• Thread starter discombobulated
  • Start date
In summary, to solve 253x = 1/52-x, the first step would be to expand the parentheses to get (52)3x = (5-1)2-x, then simplify to get 6x = -2+x. After rearranging the equation, we get 5x=-2, which gives us the solution x= -2/5. Similarly, for 4y+1=82y-1, we can expand the parentheses to get (22)y+1 = (23)2y-1, then simplify to get 2y+2=6y-3. After rearranging and solving, we get y=5/4. As for 3x-1
discombobulated
Solve the equations:
a) 253x = 1/52-x
This is what I've done but i don't know if it's right so i need someone to check it for me please.
(52)3x = (5-1)2-x
6x = -2+x (x powers)
5x=-2
x= -2/5
b)3x-1/2 - 4 = 0
errm...i'm kinda stuck on this one, could someone start me off please?
3x-1/2 = 4
c) find the value of y
4y+1=82y-1
here's what i did:
(22)y+1 = (23)2y-1
2y+2=6y-3 (powers)
4y-5=0
y=5/4
Is that right?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) and (c) appear to be correct, as for (b)

Try and get x on it's own, i would continue by:

3x^-1/2 = 4
1/3x^1/2 = 4
12x^1/2 = 1

sanitykey said:
as for (b)
Try and get x on it's own, i would continue by:
3x^-1/2 = 4
1/3x^1/2 = 4
12x^1/2 = 1
you have the right concept however, something seems fishy :uhh:
why did you invert 3x^-1/2? to become 1/3x^1/2?
It didn't say (3x)^-1/2 ..
I would say 3x^-1/2 = 3/(x^1/2).
Then 3/(x^(1/2)) = 4
4x^(1/2) = 3
x^(1/2) = 3/4 etc...

Whoops you're right Ouabache sorry about that discombobulated, my escuse is it was late when i did that reply :blushing:, anyway mistake understood, i did think 1/144 was a bit of an odd answer...

Thanks a lot guys, i worked it out and I got the answer x= 9/16

1. How do I check if my equation is solved correctly?

To check if an equation is solved correctly, you can substitute the found solution into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If the substituted value makes the equation true, then the solution is correct.

2. What are the steps to solve an equation?

The general steps to solve an equation are:
1. Simplify both sides of the equation by combining like terms
2. Get all the variable terms on one side of the equation, and all the constant terms on the other side
3. Isolate the variable by using inverse operations (operations that undo each other)
4. Check if the solution is correct by substituting it into the original equation.

3. Can an equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, an equation can have multiple solutions. For example, the equation x^2 = 4 has two solutions: x = 2 and x = -2. However, not all equations will have multiple solutions.

4. What is the difference between an equation and an inequality?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows that two expressions are equal, while an inequality shows a relationship between two expressions using symbols such as <, >, ≤, ≥. The solution to an equation is a single value, while the solution to an inequality is a range of values that satisfy the inequality.

5. How can I check my work when solving equations?

You can check your work when solving equations by substituting the found solution into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the solution, or you can use algebraic manipulations to simplify both sides and see if they are equal.