How do I use equations to solve a physics problem and reach the final result?

• Thread starter Drizzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person is struggling with a math problem involving equations and solving for a specific end result. They have received help and clarification from someone named Chet, and are working through the steps to find the correct answer.
Drizzy
end result 1. Homework Statement

WTXwv2P.jpg
So I have equation 1,2 and 3. And the end result should be the last equation. How am I going to get that answer?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have come so far:

oQyinwY.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Images of working make it hard to write a response that refers to specific steps.
Your working down to the fifth line (including the rehash of given equations 1 and 2) is ok, but you seem to have canceled some wrong terms to get the sixth line.

oops. the sixth step should be:

(Vvy)^2 + (Vsy)^2 =2Vvx * Vsx

The terms that I canceled out have a line underneath.

How do I move forward from this?

The 4th line in your solution is incorrect. You should be able to solve for 2vvxvsx. In your 3rd equation, try moving the vsy to the other side, and then squaring the resulting equation. What do you get?Chet

OMVFuDm.jpg

Drizzy said:
OMVFuDm.jpg
Follow Chet's hint at what to do with eqn 3.

I moved it to the right

Drizzy said:
I moved it to the right
Well, after squaring both sides, what did you get? Did one side resemble one side of the second line of your post #5?

My answer is sqrt of what I wrote but that is wrong. The answer should be the last equation in my first pricture.

Drizzy said:
My answer is sqrt of what I wrote but that is wrong. The answer should be the last equation in my first pricture.
ok, I see the confusion. Chet wrote:
Chestermiller said:
In your 3rd equation, try moving the vsy to the other side, and then squaring the resulting equation.
But by 3rd eqn I think he meant eqn (2) in the problem statement. Try it with that.

haruspex said:
ok, I see the confusion. Chet wrote:

But by 3rd eqn I think he meant eqn (2) in the problem statement. Try it with that.
Yes. Thanks.

1. What is the importance of equations in physics problems?

Equations are essential in physics problems because they allow us to express and quantify the relationships between different physical quantities. They also help us to make predictions and solve problems in a systematic and precise manner.

2. How do I know which equation to use for a specific physics problem?

The equation you use will depend on the specific variables given in the problem and what you are trying to solve for. Make sure to carefully read and understand the problem before selecting an appropriate equation. It may also be helpful to review the fundamental equations and principles of the specific topic you are working on.

3. Can I manipulate equations to make them easier to use?

Yes, you can manipulate equations by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. However, it is important to ensure that the equations are still accurate and represent the same physical relationships after manipulation.

4. What do the variables in equations for physics problems represent?

The variables in equations for physics problems represent different physical quantities such as time, distance, velocity, acceleration, force, and energy. It is important to understand the meaning and units of these variables in order to correctly interpret the equations and solve the problems.

5. Can I use equations for physics problems in real-life situations?

Yes, equations for physics problems are used in real-life situations to understand and predict various phenomena in the natural world. For example, they are used in engineering to design structures, in medicine to understand the human body, and in astronomy to study the universe. These equations help us to make sense of the world around us and make informed decisions.