1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations for tension?

1. Jan 3, 2005 #1
    My physics book sucks and I cant find the equation for tension in a string, can some one tell me the equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What kind of string??Is it one which oscillates,in which mechanical waves propagate??If so,then it should be
    [tex]T=m\frac{\partial^{2}u(x,t)}{\partial t^{2}} [/tex]
    ,where "u" is the amplitude of the wave which propagates along the "x" axis,or it is the coordinate "y" of a point on the string at point "x" at the moment "t".

Daniel.

4. Jan 3, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Or, if the string is massless, hanging from a support and supporting a weight W, then the tension at every point in the string is W. (Your text may have thought you didn't need a formula for that!)

If the string has weight density μ and is supporting weight W, the the tension at a point a distance x above the weight is μx+ W, the total weight below the point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?