Equations: Model or Reality?

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date

Are some physics equations (see the post below) a model or the reality itself?

• Yes, they are the reality itself if we could integrate them with zero error and infinite power.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • No, no matter how well you integrate it, it would never be 100% corresponded with a real event

Votes: 26 78.8%

• Total voters
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Tom Mattson said:
Navier-Stokes? Let's see what happens when you apply it when the fluid is relativistic.

Tom,i'm sure you've heard about relativistic hydrodynamics,highly useful in cosmology.If,by absurd,you haven't,check Landau's course on fluid mechanics (i think the penultimate or the antepentultimate chapter) and Tolman's course on Thermodynamics and Cosmology.

It's no big deal to write Navier-Stokes equations in generally covariant manner...

Daniel.

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
dextercioby said:
It's no big deal to write Navier-Stokes equations in generally covariant manner...

Sure, but then what? Would you at that point say that you have an exact representation of reality? That's the whole point of the thread.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Nope,i didn't claim that.I still think (up to conviction) that a (theoretical) physicist works with models only.

The idea was that the N-S eqns.are a very successful model which can be generalized from Newtonian physics to GR.

Daniel.

I'm going to wait for option

C) What's the difference?

I voted that NO. There are always limitations and/or assumptions to every model and equation.