Creating an Equation from Coordinates to "Save" a Curve

• Thread starter jjj888
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, The conversation revolves around finding a method to create an equation from a set of coordinates for a vase shape with a 0.05" tolerance. The options suggested are using B-splines or Bezier curves.
jjj888
I was wondering if anyone had a good method for creating an equation from a set of coordinates. Let's say I have a vase (hourglass shaped). I have x,y coordinates that map the outline of the shape to about a 0.05" tolerance. Is there some mathmatical process that I can use to, in effect "save" this curve in an equation. I tried regression, but the shape isn't exact and I am aware that there could be many equations that could potentialy follow those points.

There must be some way to do it.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at B-splines? Look up "B spline surfaces" with Google or any search engine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just discovered Bezier curves this weekend. I think they'll work for my purpose, although I'll keep the B splines in mind.

Thanks

What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more variables. It consists of numbers, variables, and mathematical operations.

What are coordinates?

Coordinates refer to a set of numbers that indicate the position of a point on a graph or in a coordinate system. They consist of an x-coordinate (horizontal) and a y-coordinate (vertical).

Why is creating an equation from coordinates useful?

Creating an equation from coordinates allows us to represent a curve or line on a graph in a mathematical form. This makes it easier to analyze and make predictions about the data or pattern represented by the curve.

How do you create an equation from coordinates?

To create an equation from coordinates, you first need to identify the slope or rate of change of the curve, which is represented by the change in the y-coordinates over the change in the x-coordinates. Then, you can use the slope and a point on the curve to write an equation in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

Can an equation accurately "save" a curve?

Yes, an equation can accurately "save" a curve because it represents the relationship between the coordinates on the curve and can be used to plot and predict future points on the curve. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the equation depends on the accuracy of the data points used to create it.