1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of Higher Degree

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the remainder using the remainder theorem
    P(x) = 2x^3 + 3x^2 + 4x - 10; D(x) = x + 1

2. Relevant equations

Remainder Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    x = -1
    P(x) = -2 + 3 - 4 - 10
    R -13

Can you have a negative remainder?

The next question says:
    Decide whether or not the number is a zero of the polynomial.

Is that just another way of saying find the remainder?
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure you can have a negative remainder. Is the 'number' you are referring to -1? If so, IS it a root?
  4. Mar 7, 2007 #3
    Oh ok, so -13 is the right answer to that one?

No, the next question is referring to a different polynomial, though the question was stated different. Can I use the remainder theorem again, or is it asking me to do something different?
  5. Mar 7, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the remainder of x-r if r is a root? And if you don't believe -13 is the remainder - check it with a long division.
  6. Mar 7, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The remainder theorem which you mention but don't cite (that would have been a good idea) says that if P(x) is divided by (x-a) then the remainder is P(a). That's true because P(x)/(x-a)= Q(x)+ remainder r is the same as saying P(x)= (x-a)Q(x)+ r. What happens when you set x= a?
  7. Mar 7, 2007 #6
    I'm lost =/

My teacher didn't go over the theorem, he just told us how to use the f(x) = blah

Sorry I didn't site it.

I'll work it out in long division to see if I got the right answer, but I'm thinking I did since you can have a - remainder.

Now I'm not sure what to do about the question that asks if a certain number is a zero of the polynomial... is that the same as saying find the remainder?
  8. Mar 7, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at what Halls said. Dividing a polynomial P(x) by (x-a) and getting a remainder r and a quotient Q(x) means you can write the polynomial P(x)=Q(x)*(x-a)+r, right? Make sense? Just the same as division by numbers? Putting x=a in that gives:

since a-a=0. That is the Remainder theorem. So to see if r=0 (which is the same as saying that a is a root, yes?), you can either put 'a' into the polynomial and see if you get zero or you can divide the polynomial by (x-a) and see if the remainder is zero. Same thing. Do actually try out the long division to prove it to yourself.
  9. Mar 7, 2007 #8
    What is a?

When i divided it with long division I got -9 =/
    But when i used synthetic division i got -13 again...

The question about finding a zero is

P(x) = -x^4 + 9x^2 - 9x + 27; 3
    So I did used
    P(3) = -(3)^4 + 9(3)^2 - 9(3) + 27 = 0
    so yes it is a zero?

There is yet another problem that says find the quotient and remainder of the following problems and whatnot... i can get the remainder but how do i get the quotient?
    Is that where I subtract a root from the equation since I just took one out?
    If so here is what I did:

Problem: (3x^5 + 4x^4 + 2x^2 - 1) / (x + 2)

Solution (using synth div.)

3 -2 4 -6 R11
    3x^3 - 2x^2 + 4x - 6 R11 ??
  10. Mar 8, 2007 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In the statement of the problem you said the the polynomial was 2x3+ 3x2+ 4x- 10. Here you use "-2 + 3 - 4 -10" which corresponds to -2x3+ 3x2- 4x- 10. Which is it?

??? If you were asked to find a zero, where did you get "3" from? If you were asked to determine whether or not 3 is a zero then it's just a matter of understanding what a "zero" of a polynomial is.

Are you saying you do not know the meaning of the word "quotient"? If you were to divide 1233 by 5 what would be the quotient and what would be the remainder?
  11. Mar 8, 2007 #10
    It's the one stated in the problem, but i did (-1)^3 * 2.

Yes, I needed to determine if 3 was a zero.

I actually typed the problem wrong... but it's ok I have it right now.

thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?