1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of lines

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find equations for a line perpendicular to both of these lines.

2. Relevant equations
    (x/3)=(y/2)=(z/2) and (x/5)=(y/3)=(z-4)/2

3. The attempt at a solution

i dont know how to start???I know the two lines are skew, if i take the cross product will it be perp. to both lines??Can i take the cross product of two lines that lie in different planes?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't take the cross product of the lines. You take the cross product of the direction vectors of the lines. The result is a direction vector for the perpendicular line.

4. Oct 5, 2007 #3
    how do i find the direction vectors?

5. Oct 5, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you have a text book? Isn't it covered in there?

6. Oct 5, 2007 #5
    No!!My book leaves a lot of details out, it expects us to know certain calculus stuff since its a post calculus course.I just dont remember direction vectors but have studied them in the past.Ill see what i can find n google.thnx anyway.

7. Oct 5, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you may need another book to keep on hand. ax=by=cz has direction vector (1/a,1/b,1/c).

8. Oct 5, 2007 #7
    Hmm, i did the cross product of the direction vectors and got -2i+4J-k, but the questions asks to find the equations, i got a vector.The answer in the book is .5x-52/7=-.25y+52/21=z-208/21, they surely used another method.

9. Oct 5, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Look at the direction vector of the line they give as a solution. It's (1/.5,1/(-.25),1/1) which is (2,-4,1). You got the direction vector right. Now it looks like they want you to fix the constants by requiring that the perpendicular intersect the other two lines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?