1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of Motion for a mass on a circular track with a linear spring

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A collar of mass m slides without friction along a circular track of radius R as
    shown in THE ATTACHMENT. Attached to the collar is a linear spring with spring constant K and
    unstretched length zero. The spring is attached at the fixed point A located a distance
    2R from the center of the circle. Assume gravity acts down and determine (a) the differential equation of motion for the collar in terms the angle θ and (b) the reaction force exerted by the track on the collaras a function of the angle θ.

2. Relevant equations

The transport theorem

F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I have worked through this problem and am not confident in my answer. A second look would be much appreciated. Here's my answer:

I created reference frame E: {er, eθ, ez} at mass m such that it's position is

r = Rer

By using the transport theorem for velocity and acceleration as seen by the intertial frame I came up with:

v(m/I) = 0 + θ(dot)R[eθ]
    a(m/I) = θ(double dot)R[eθ] - (θ(dot))^2R[er]

Next the forces acting on my mass are gravity, normal, and linear spring

∴Ʃ F = mg[JI] + N[er] + K(3R-0)[-er + JI]

where JI = sinθ[er] + cosθ[eθ]

when I substitute JI into my ƩF equation, set equal to ma(m/I), and drop the unit vectors, I get these two equations:

1. mgsinθ + N -3KR + 3KRsinθ = -m(θ(dot))^2R
    2. mgcosθ + 3KRcosθ = mθ(double dot)R

For my equation of motion in terms of θ, I only need to use the second equation, correct? Where θ(double dot) = (mgcosθ + 3KRcosθ)/(mR)

and for the normal force (N) I just use the first equation and move everything to one side for N = -mgsinθ +3KR - 3KRsinθ -m(θ(dot))^2R

Can someone please take a look at this? I feel as though my spring force
    Fs = K(3R-0)[-er + JI] is not correct, but I don't know what else it should be. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?