1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Equations of motion for compound pendulum

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To derive the equations of motion for a compound pendulum. Pendulum parameters are: mass M, mass moment of inertia= Ixx,Iyy,Izz,Ixy,Iyz,Izx, Euler angles theta, phi & psi and their time-derivatives theta_dot, phi_dot, & psi_dot, and coordinates of center-of-mass (x,y,z)

The coordinate system is give as; X & Y axis in horizontal plane, while Z axis point downwards. (SEE FIGURE attached with this post)
    https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27054&stc=1&d=1279608886

2. Relevant equations
    Kinetic energy, T = 0.5 [tex]\omega * I * \omega[/tex]
    Potential energy, V = -m*g*z
    Lagrangian, L = T - V
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found the expression of c-o-m in terms of Euler angles:
    x = l*sin(theta)*cos(psi)
    y = l*sin(theta)*sin(psi)
    z = l*cos(theta)
    where, l is the distance between hinge point and c-o-m, and theta is inclination from Z axis, psi is angle between "l*sin(theta)" and X axis.

Now, need to derive the expression for components of angular velocity in terms of Euler angles. How should I do that? Please help.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted